Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stag8manod
    replied
    I have a 3.45 behind my OD Stag. I used an Estate rear cover as I wanted to keep the 3.7 complete in case I wanted to change back, I don't and yes I wouldn't want it any higher geared and cruises nicely at 2375 revs @ 100k and with the odd extra gear change, given my hoon days are over, well just about.
    Cheers Ian A

Leave a comment:

• Lingen
    replied
    Kevin.
    I reckon the 3.45 is a much better ratio for an automatic if you have one, giving a worthwhile reduction in revs and fuel consumption. However, it is a bit high for a manual with o/d, and will mean switching the o/d out earlier on long gradients.
    At least that is what I think, having tried both..
    Mike.

Leave a comment:

• Stag-Victor
    replied
    Mystery solved I think, it appears to be a 3.45 diff and backplate from a triumph 2.5pi estate, going by the 'MG' code I found under several layers of paint and accumulated grunge. Turning the output shaft twice gives me a bit less than 3 and a half turns on the input.

Pondering now whether to go back to a 3.7......

Leave a comment:

• jbuckl
    replied
    Stag is deeper underneath crownwheel tooth root.
    Stag has a different bolting pattern for the cover.
    Tr4 had a 3.7:1 ratio ; stag had a 3.7:1 diff ratio.
    AFAIAA there will be 2 bolts that don’t fit.
    The upper one cannot be redrilled.
    The lower one can be redrilled & tapped 5/16 unf.
    Last edited by jbuckl; 25 November 2021, 01:12.

Leave a comment:

• Stag-Victor
    started a topic Another diff question....

Another diff question....

So I went to refit the diff cover with its new gasket and found the gasket was not going to fit.....on confirming i had definitely ordered the correct gasket, it turns out my diff is not a stag diff....

The backplate has part number 305721, am I right in thinking thats from a TR4 IRS diff?

Presumably the stag diff is uprated compared to that of the tr4, am I better off finding a stag diff or will refitting the tr4 one be ok bearing in mind its quiet and nothing wrong with it aside from its incontinence???

thanks
    Kevin
Working...
X