Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80amp alternator : supplier?

Hi All

I am after a buying a 80amp alternator (for use as a spare) suitable for fitment to the EJ Wards high position bracket. Wards are only advertising a 55amp alternator on their website these days which is a bit puzzling seeing as they supplied the 80amp currently (pun intended) fitted to our car.

Can anyone suggest an alternative supplier?

Regards

Bruce
    1973 GT6 Mk3 Pimento Red
    1974 Stag MOD,3.45 diff,French Blue, Fiat seats, Belt EWP, H/Tank

Been looking on EBay 184143709303
    73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

Wards used to supply wosp ones .

http://www.wosperformance.co.uk/stockists/wosp-uk/

You might have to copy link and paste it into Google
      Last edited by Seaking; 1st August 2020, 20:18.

Comment

Just out of interest, why do you feel you need such a high output alternator?
        Header tanks - you can't beat a bit of bling.

Comment

Originally posted by wilf View Post
          Same for me?
          John
          1978 Stag Brooklands Green

Comment

Originally posted by Seaking View Post

Thanks Glenn

I will contact WASP direct

Regards

Bruce
            1973 GT6 Mk3 Pimento Red

Comment

Originally posted by wilf View Post
              Lots of night driving with sustained main beam on, heater on, phone charging etc etc whilst doing the RBRR and C2C. It's only a few quid more for the large output alternator so why not. Had one on the car for the past 5 years and it's worked great.

Regards

Bruce
              1973 GT6 Mk3 Pimento Red

Comment

I bought 65 amp for mine

Comment

Originally posted by new to this View Post
                  I bought 65 amp for mine
                  that doesn't assist me as I am after an 80amp
                  1973 GT6 Mk3 Pimento Red

Comment

contact any starter motor and alternator recon company near you they will be able to supply at around the 70 pound mark ( that's what our local ones charge)

Comment

Originally posted by Seaking View Post

Are the WOSP ones a different shape/size/fitting to the original ones ?

Comment

Dave it's the wards bracket that is a little different .

Comment

As an alternative thought to consider, why not fit LED bulbs all round, kill two birds with one stone (probably that's a non PC comment) substantialy reduce the load on the alternator and elderly wiring and considerably improve forward vision and rearward visibility.

There has been some discussion about the legality of LED headlamps, but my set from Better Car Lighting (no connection other than as a satisfied customer) make night time driving so much safer, cause no dazzle to oncoming vehicles and have passed recent MOT with no comment from the examiner.

More expensive than a replacement alternator, but as you say you do alot of nighttime driving, certainly worth a thought.
                          Cheers Mac

Comment

80 amps! Bit of welding to do?
                            joking aside I’m working on ancillary drive system at the moment, with a 140 amp alternator & the heat management is a big issue.
                            if that is ignored, the alternator goes into various stages of self sweating de-rate. 40 amps, then 20 amps then off. The internal fan only provides 30 % of the systems required cooling.
                            many modern alternators have external liquid cooling now & are over 1000 to replace,
                            just saying.
                            fitting a high output alternator isn’t just a matter of getting one bolted on.
                            another consideration is the drive belt load & temperature. May need to go for a poly-bee belt to cope with the loads. Then there’s the tension to think about too.
                            starts making the led lamp suggestion pretty sensible, apart from the compliance aspect of that, which you may or may not get away with. Might be worth asking wards about their high output offering especially if it’s no longer offered.
                            Last edited by jbuckl; 3rd August 2020, 20:14.
                            There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

Originally posted by jbuckl View Post
                              80 amps! Bit of welding to do?
                              joking aside I’m working on ancillary drive system at the moment, with a 140 amp alternator & the heat management is a big issue.
                              if that is ignored, the alternator goes into various stages of self sweating de-rate. 40 amps, then 20 amps then off. The internal fan only provides 30 % of the systems required cooling.
                              many modern alternators have external liquid cooling now & are over 1000 to replace,
                              just saying.
                              fitting a high output alternator isn’t just a matter of getting one bolted on.
                              another consideration is the drive belt load & temperature. May need to go for a poly-bee belt to cope with the loads. Then there’s the tension to think about too.
                              starts making the led lamp suggestion pretty sensible, apart from the compliance aspect of that, which you may or may not get away with. Might be worth asking wards about their high output offering especially if it’s no longer offered.
                              Its horses for courses. I don't doubt for one minute what you are saying BUT in a car the alternator rarely runs continuously at full output. I suspect the designs you are working on have to be designed to cope with being run at full output on a continuous basis in all temperature conditions.

My 16 year old Passat TDi estate has a 140 amp alternator (according to the part number and specs.) and looks no bigger than the original on my Stag. It has a few more ventilation slots but certainly is not water cooled, it has also done nearly 200,000 miles. Yes the belt drive is a serious consideration and the Passat one has a wide "multi V" belt. The alternator will only put more stress on the drive belt etc. when its higher output is being used. Upto that point it will be the same. Alos because the alternator has been designed for a higher output it may well be more efficient and actually generate less heat most of the time.

Bear in mind Bruce has been running a 80amp alternator for a number of years without issue.

My bigger concern with higher output alternators is whether or not the original wiring is upto the job!

Changing to all LED lighting (assuming decent/proper LEDs) will only reduce the current by around 10 amps. The biggest consumer of current is usually the electric fan which can "pull" 20 amps or more.

Roger
                              White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
                              So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Working...
                              X