Chrome strip on boot 'pinged off'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome strip on boot 'pinged off'

I think it's a combination of the hot weather today (32 C in sunny Derbyshire) and the fact that whoever put the chrome edging strip on the boot seal plastered a cupious qualtity of waxoil over the clips. Anyway, The chrome strip fell off the car this morning (fortunately while I was just washing it) but I cant get the clips to grip back on. I've removed all traces of waxoil, as I thought that was the problem (too much lubrication......... ooo errr Mrs!) but the chrome strip just keeps pinging off. Are the clips 'single use' and I need to replace them? Or are there any ideas?........ (I have adjusted the clips so they are tighter, but that made no difference either)
    Attached Files
    It was James Bond's colour... Saffron Yellow is so cool :-)

I can’t see from the photo, are the clips on the boot lid or in the channel? You do need to secure the clips to the flange first, then push the channel onto the clips. I’ve always brushed copious amounts of waxoyl into the channel before clipping it on back in the day when I restored Triumphs for a living…
    Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
    2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Hi. I use clear silicone and masking tape to hold until set it gives a nice neat finish.. I never use the clips as damages the paint and a possible rust spot.

Comment

Mine being done at Faversham a few weeks ago.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mopo View Post
          Hi. I use clear silicone and masking tape to hold until set it gives a nice neat finish.. I never use the clips as damages the paint and a possible rust spot.
          +1

Comment

You probably need new clips the barbs may have rusted
            73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Mopo View Post
              I used clear silicone to stick mine , but try getting it off again and your damage or bend the trim it sticks so well
              73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

I did mine with black tigerseal with no clips only tape. They are not coming off again
                John
                1978 Stag Brooklands Green

Comment

Originally posted by mole42 View Post
                  I can’t see from the photo, are the clips on the boot lid or in the channel? You do need to secure the clips to the flange first, then push the channel onto the clips. I’ve always brushed copious amounts of waxoyl into the channel before clipping it on back in the day when I restored Triumphs for a living…
                  Ohhhhh! Thanks Mole42 . I didnt realise I had to secure the clips to the flange on the boot lid first. Every day is a school day! Thank you for putting me on the right path. I think I'll persevere with the clips, as I'm not personally keen on the idea of using silicone sealant.
                  It was James Bond's colour... Saffron Yellow is so cool :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DavidW View Post

Ohhhhh! Thanks Mole42 . I didnt realise I had to secure the clips to the flange on the boot lid first. Every day is a school day! Thank you for putting me on the right path. I think I'll persevere with the clips, as I'm not personally keen on the idea of using silicone sealant.
                    Me neither, use Indasa windscreen sealant, no silicon and it stays permanently flexible.

Micky

Comment

sicaflex 512 caravan adhesive that stays flexible but sticks well screwing or ebay

Comment

Working...
                      X