Minilite wheels- A word of warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minilite wheels- A word of warning

I have had replica minilite wheels on my car for around six years. During this time i have struggled to get the wheel nuts to a decent torque and often have to tighten before any journey, I have also lost three nuts during driving, thankfully not all on the same wheel! On Tuesday I had a refurbished steering rack fitted and the mechanic commented on how loose the wheel nuts were. On close inspection, it appears that the nuts are bottoming out at the bottom of the wheel hole before the flange on the flange on the nut meets the flange in the wheel hole, if that makes sense? There is a thin shiny ring at the bottom of the wheel hole approximately 0.5 to 0.75mm and this is the only point of contact that the nut is making and therefore there is the possibility on a long journey of the nut working loose and the wheel coming off. Today I changed back to the Stag alloys.

Have measured the hole at 13mm so will need to buy a decent 15mm drill bit to drill the holes out so that the nuts go in further and the flanges on the nuts connect to the flange in the hole and allow proper tightening. Just thought I would post this in case anyone else had experienced loosening of wheel nuts on these type of wheels.

Sounds as if the bolt holes on the wheels haven't been finished off properly.
    I would caution on just drilling the hole out, the taper on the face of the nut should, near enough, match the taper on the face of the wheels bolt hole.
    I would opt to shave the face so that tapers match, drilling a larger hole will only make a nice sharp edge for a different part of the nut face to bind to.
    I tighten my wheel nuts to 55 / 60 Lbft, they don't need more than that.

John.
    Your wife is right, size matters. 3.9RV8

Comment

I have two different sorts of Minilite. one uses ordinary taper seat nuts, the other two pairs use sleeve nuts with a washer under the head.

The holes for the sleeve nuts are parallel right through the hub of the wheel, from your comment it sounds like yours have not been drilled all the way through.

This could of course be a third different design, maybe the nuts supplied are too long

I have never had problems with wheels coming loose, but the quality of the washers under the heads of the nuts is poor, the hexagon digs into the washers leaving an imprint, I think they should be harder metal unless this digging in is a form of locking mechanism

Neil
      Neil
      TV8, efi, fast road cams and home built manifolds. 246bhp 220lbft torque

Comment

The wheel nuts your using ,do they have a cone shape on the end , chris Witor sells stainless steel wheel nuts that fit minilite wheels
        73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

Are you using the correct nuts. I raced my Spitfire on genuine Minilites and nuts for 12 years and given the extra stresses of racing never had a wheel come loose.
          Cheers Ian A

Comment

Originally posted by new to this View Post
            The wheel nuts your using ,do they have a cone shape on the end , chris Witor sells stainless steel wheel nuts that fit minilite wheels
            I have Chris Witor Stainless Nuts, I bought 2 to see how they polished first, one which I thought had a machine pip caused by the lathe tool being in the wrong position, but I wasn't it was a start of a hole as the internal thread had been machined/drilled too deeply. It polished into a hole which I managed to get welded and then polished out ok I polished the rest of the nut 600,800,1000 paper and finished off with a rope wheel and soap on a lathe, then auto-sol.

I then ordered the other 10 wheel nuts asking them to check the machining depth before sending, 2 came machined to deeply so rang them , was told to return them for replacement but did not receive the 4.00 postage back! which was a bit disappointing, I did ask for it , customer pays again!

See photo's

IMG_20180410_101515_HDR[26365].jpgIMG_20190410_172941.jpg

So check you nuts if they come!
            Last edited by MandM; 31st July 2020, 17:26.
            "The UK,s Most Easterly Stag" Quad Exhaust- ZF 4 Speed BOX

Comment

When you say you have replica minilite wheels, are they unbranded or say superlite etc?
              Mike.
              74 Stag (Best Modified 2007), 02 Maserati 4200, 17 BMW M140i, 00 Mitsubishi Pinin

Comment

The wheels came from MG Hive I believe and the wheel nuts came with them, they are JBW wheels. I am only going to drill into the bottom of the hole approx 2-3mm just to allow the nut to go in a little further, i wont be drilling the flange away as need this to remain. The wheels are the polished rim alloys that are also available in club mag. Wheel nuts are flat polished chrome across top, no dome.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevekid1 View Post
                  The wheels came from MG Hive I believe and the wheel nuts came with them, they are JBW wheels. I am only going to drill into the bottom of the hole approx 2-3mm just to allow the nut to go in a little further, i wont be drilling the flange away as need this to remain. The wheels are the polished rim alloys that are also available in club mag. Wheel nuts are flat polished chrome across top, no dome.
                  Steve

Can you post a picture off your wheel nuts , they dont sound as if there the right ones , minilight wheel nuts have a dome/taper

Comment

Please don’t drill your own wheels.
                    At the least get suitable nuts instead.
                    The implications don’t bear thinking about.
                    There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

I have the same wheels came from MG hive these are the nuts that came with them , As said I now have SS witor ones, (no rust)

P1090458.JPG
                      "The UK,s Most Easterly Stag" Quad Exhaust- ZF 4 Speed BOX

Comment

I think just to be clear on this the heading should read Replica/Copies of Minilite wheels as the problems being referred to here are not something you would get with real Minilite's - JBW who appear to make all these copies are around 50% cheaper than the real thing, not to say there's anything wrong with them but I think Minilite would get upset if they saw this heading..

http://minilite.co.uk
                        Mike

Comment

Hi Steve

Have a read

https://www.socforum.com/forum/forum...w-alloy-wheels

Regards

Bruce
                          1973 GT6 Mk3 Pimento Red
                          1974 Stag MOD,3.45 diff,French Blue, Fiat seats, Belt EWP, H/Tank

Comment

Isn’t it in the spelling? Minilite are originals, Minilight are the repro?
                            I think I had superlites on my mini, no problems.

Terry
                            Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

I dont think its any thing to do with original wheel or repros , its either wrong type of wheel nut used , or maybe the threads on the studs stretched or damaged

Comment

Working...
                              X