Cross member bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cross member bolts

Hello everyone, I was just wondering why there are two different bolts for cross member, the old ones I have taken off mine all look the same. Has anyone spot welded the top of the nuts to the plate to make it easier to unbolt if there's a next time. Hope everyone is well Steve.

I just spot welded mine to the plates Steve. I've got the engine out and the crossmember out, the "plan" is to get it back together this weekend. I did the same to the engine mounts and then I installed 5/16-24 Timeserts on the bellhousing. Hopefully, all this makes installation a bit smoother.Timeserts on the bellhousing. Hopefully, all this makes installation a bit smoother. Timesert.jpg
    Attached Files
    John

Comment

Originally posted by stonedrive View Post
      Hello everyone, I was just wondering why there are two different bolts for cross member, the old ones I have taken off mine all look the same. Has anyone spot welded the top of the nuts to the plate to make it easier to unbolt if there's a next time. Hope everyone is well Steve.
      I think that the outer bolts are longer because they also have the connector plate for the brake hose/pipe .
      John
      1978 Stag Brooklands Green

Comment

Thanks chaps that all makes perfect sense. Cheers Steve

Comment

Another question lovely people. The four plates that go above cross member the holes are off set, which way round should they go. Many thanks Steve.

Comment

mine had a stamp which went on top.
            John

Comment

Do you mean these plates which reinforce the chassis leg. These are the new ones I bought from Chris Witor. No offset

cross member.jpg
              John

Comment

Ok thanks, I had to order two new ones from rimmers so I shall wait and see how they are and go from there. Many thanks Steve

Comment

a question? if you are capable of removing an engine, why are you paying for plates like these, for the cost of one you can buy a piece of steel and make a dozen or more?

Comment

I think the new ones are not as wide. My original ones for my '71 Stag which go on top are slightly chamfered on one edge to clear the body. Earlier ones than that have a notch along the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil S View Post
                      a question? if you are capable of removing an engine, why are you paying for plates like these, for the cost of one you can buy a piece of steel and make a dozen or more?
                      Good question. Very easy to make if you have a local steel stockholder who will cut you a piece but probably you will have to buy via internet. The size of these plates is approximately 25 x 8 x 100mm. I doubt very much if you could buy flat bar for less than 15. Remember, like bolts, the less you buy the more expensive they are. You then have to cut it into pieces with a hacksaw and then dress up. Easy to drill holes 7/16" dia if you have facilities with a pedestal drill and a good set of quality drills which don't come cheap. Not so easy if you are using a hand drill. I can appreciate where you are coming from but sometimes it is more economical to buy the finished product
                      John

Comment

the engineer in me slipped out, I would buy a piece of steel and hang on to the excess, like people who pay lots for a bag of 10 screws because they only need 8 for this job, when a box of 200 is only coppers more.

Comment

Totally agree with you Phil. I am an engineer and I despair for modern car mechanics who in my cousin's words "couldn't put a nut in a monkey's mouth".
                          I can never understand someone who goes to B&Q and buys 10 screws when they can go to Screwfix and buy a box of 100 for a few bob more. Incredibly they are owned by the same company. I have three large Stanley Fatmax boxes full of different screws and wall fixings. I need them when I have my own house and two daughters houses who are constantly in need of repairs, shelves, blinds etc. I am sure my son's-in-law love me
                          John

Comment

Working...
                          X