It was going great then... Mk1 vs Mk2 radiator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was going great then... Mk1 vs Mk2 radiator question

A few months ago I resoldered a seal to cure a slight leak, went well.. then yesterday I soldered in the new hose entries for my header tank and was pleased when it pressure tested to 35 psi and held, job done! Then mounted my fan which involved some screws into the frame, again pressure check and all was well.
    BUT.. after installing it I had a damn big leak somewhere in the core.. I guess the stresses of install caused the core solder to fail.. RATS!

So I guess it’s off to the radiator shop, as that’s above my pay grade.. but I do have a spare Mk1 Radiator — so what’s the difference? are they less efficient? Or is it just the pressure cap and overflow arrangement?

Terry
    Last edited by trunt; 30th June 2020, 04:16.
    Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

I think Mk2 have more cores the Mk1 has three. I'm going to use a Mk1 I have.

Comment

This one is a 4 core Sujit so I guess there is a difference.

You knew I wouldn't put it down didn't you?

I opened the side and found a great big hole.. But locating it was unbelievably difficult..
      Maybe as I installed the radiator one of the fan screws was forced into the core as I pushed down to get it in.. they were miles away, (well at least a 1/4 inch) unbelievable..Next time I'll grind the tips of the screws off!!

I'm going to fish my MK1 radiator out see if thats OK, I'll get prices and timeframe for a recore tomorrow, I was thinking of a supergil at one time.. And then probably have a go at soldering that up what the heck,

Here it is, after I had a poke at it..

IMG_3242.JPG
      Last edited by trunt; 30th June 2020, 04:18.

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Klaus Schlüter gave me the tip of puttting a sheet of cardboard in front of the fan before you try to slide the radiator into position.

Drew
        If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

you could always solder the 1 core up, the loss of just 1 is negligible

Comment

Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
            Klaus Schlüter gave me the tip of puttting a sheet of cardboard in front of the fan before you try to slide the radiator into position.

Drew
            That’s a good tip, but in my case- No fan

The area was at the bottom, not far from the locating studs, to get to it I had to remove the two pop rivets and pull the frame away.
            After sleeping on it I think I will attempt a repair, probably scare myself with the cost of a recore to spur me on!

Then grind the tips off of those screws..

Terry
            Last edited by trunt; 30th June 2020, 12:05.

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by trunt View Post

That’s a good tip, but in my case- No fan....

Terry
              I don't have a fan either, Terry, but I use a large sheet of ally to protect the radiator fins from the large pulley bolt head. It's tall enough to stand on the ground, and wide enough to not fall sideways, whilst struggling with the weight of the radiator. You've probably guessed where it originally came from...!

Dave

Comment

OK next time with my newly recored radiator! hmm..My large sheet of ally came from a CT install.. did yours?

I tried and failed, very difficult position and theres another hole somewhere, plus I dont trust it any more.. I think the thing is falling apart. I'm commited now to a recore, I'm not a fan of alloy radiators so a Supergil core will be ordered and radiator shop is quoting $125-$150 to fit it. I will drag my Mk1 radiator out and as long as its leak free at least I may get this engine started whilst I get that sorted.

Fun Fun Fun

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Terry,

Have you looked at Wizard Cooling for their ally Stag rads? This side of the pond,
                  Whoops, my bad, you said you don't like them. Ignore this.
                  Tanya
                  Last edited by SaskStag; 30th June 2020, 15:16.
                  Tanya: Brit in Canada
                  71 Fed Stag, TV8, ZF 4spd auto, EWP and crossed fingers

Comment

Originally posted by trunt View Post
                    OK next time with my newly recored radiator! hmm..My large sheet of ally came from a CT install.. did yours?
                    Nope; mine once had wings, and could drop torpedoes. My boot boards came from the same source...

Comment

I thought it was the other way around and the MK1 had 4 rows and the later mk2s were reduced to three as a cost cutting measure. The 4 row rads used staggered cores which were far more efficient than the new 4 row rads which use 4 tubes in a row.

Neil
                      Neil
                      TV8, efi, fast road cams and home built manifolds. 246bhp 220lbft torque

Comment

Originally posted by flying farmer View Post
                        I thought it was the other way around and the MK1 had 4 rows and the later mk2s were reduced to three as a cost cutting measure. The 4 row rads used staggered cores which were far more efficient than the new 4 row rads which use 4 tubes in a row.

Neil
                        Duhh.. , Of course you are correct on the MK2.. 3 rows staggered.. I miscounted.. My Mk1 is the same, 3 rows staggered.. but it has a stamped label on it dated 1978 so I'm guessing a recore?

On the cardboard/metal protection .. TBH I was wondering what the big deal was, but just realised that I have the shorter Mk1 steering pump pulley and a 3" crank bolt -so I had no problems at all..Bags of room.

Just orderd my core from Tony Hart.. delivery August 12..Heck.. I hope it gets here faster than that! the Mk1 radiator looks a bit sad.

Terry
                        Last edited by trunt; 1st July 2020, 04:10.

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X