Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After 40 years my alternator has given up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 40 years my alternator has given up.

I purchased this alternator three years ago for the time when my original would finally give up, well that date has come so ready to replace it with this one. I have not removed the one that is presently on my 73 Mk2 Fed Stag, so I wonder if these photos of my new one are a copy of the one I am about to remove.?

Are there any videos around showing the replacement of the alternator?

should be a straight change over, the only difference could be the pull diameter

Comment

Manual has you drop the sway bar ( and in my case, the trans cooler). The install from the bottom. I determined fifyou move the PS pump out of the way, and move the battery ground strap, it can be done from the top. I put in a CS 130 as I detest Lucas alternators.

Comment

Originally posted by tvrgeek View Post
        I put in a CS 130 as I detest Lucas alternators.
        Really, I would never have guessed

Comment

How to remove your alternator from a Fed Mk2 73 Stag.that is fitted with bothy a transmission and engine cooler.

First disconnect both battery terminals.
          I have a 73 Mk 2 Fed Stag equipped with both an oil and a transmission cooler, so trust me, you CANNOT remove your alternator from the bottom of the car, it is impossible. Why you may ask, well slide under the vehicle and look up, you will see the transmission fluid radiator running from one side to the other. Then you will notice the coolant pipe from the top running down to the bottom of your radiator.
          I decided that the ROM book is WRONG, unbolting your anti-roll bar and swinging it down does nothing.if you have an automatic Stag.
          1. First, remove the ENTIRE power steering pump by undoing all three bolts, but suck out the steering fluid first and tape over the ends when you remove the two pipe connections. If you do this, then you will have ample room to work in.
          2. Drain your radiator and save the fluid, especially if, like me, you are using Evans Waterless Coolant.
          3. Remove the steel coolant pipe going from the top down to the bottom of your radiator.
          4. Undo and remove the nut and bolt holding the alternator at the bottom right to the bracket, then with two wrenches undo the long top bolt and slide the bolt out.
          5. Slip off the alternator belt, then twisting the alternator unclip the plug from the back of the alternator.
          6. Twist the unit around and grab it by the pulley, then twisting the alternator around, lift the alternator out, with a couple of small twists it will clear all obstacles.
          Refitting is the reverse of all removal procedures.
          Robin.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Robin Searle; Yesterday, 15:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Searle View Post
            I purchased this alternator three years ago for the time when my original would finally give up, well that date has come so ready to replace it with this one. I have not removed the one that is presently on my 73 Mk2 Fed Stag, so I wonder if these photos of my new one are a copy of the one I am about to remove.?

Are there any videos around showing the replacement of the alternator?
            Out of interest, what died? There's really very little to go wrong, two bearings being the only moving parts if you ignore the springs of the brushes.

Usually it's worn brushes and slip ring, rectifier pack or voltage regulator.

My neighbors wondered why I spent time striping down a 25 year old alternator on a Volvo. Because it only cost me a voltage regulator, slip ring and brushes for 30 instead of the ridiculous price for cheap import pattern stuff.

That said, last time I changed diodes and voltage regulator on one of those Lucas alternators was some time back in the 1980's

Comment

In my case, the alternator was only charging the battery with 10 amps, so it was recommended that I replace it. Yes, I could have had it rebuilt but as I already had a brand new hi-output one easier to go that route.
              I was working on my own when reinstalling the new alternator and trying to lift and line up the alternator proved a challenge **%##, so put my 80-year-old thinking cap on decided string/ rope would not be stable enough, I tore off a 3-foot length of duct tape, folded into two, sticky to sticky, slid it down either side of the alternator, added a short length of duct tape to join up both ends, holding the tape hoist in my left hand lifted up the alternator, positioned it to line up exactly and using my right hand insert the long bolt, QED as they used to say. My garage has been at 35C for a few days hot and sticky, so waited until today when only 17C to finish the job, and the more important job of testing all is well.I did at least refill all of the fluids that I removed and no leaks were spotted!!.
              Last edited by Robin Searle; Yesterday, 15:32.

Comment

Working...
              X