Stag Aftermarket AC System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stag Aftermarket AC System

Now that I have sorted the engine mounts in my Rover 3.9EFI stag it is time to fit an after market AC system.

I decided to go aftermarket as I had already done a similar fit to my Alfa 105GTV so I knew what I was getting myself in for.

Like the Alfa I decided to put the evaporator in the space where the glovebox normally sits, loosing the glovebox is a small price to pay to having AC in warm climates like Australia.

I needed to move the fuse relay panel to make space but luckly there was still enough room to leave the fuse box in its original position.

The evaporator came with a mounting bracket which I attached to the dashboard support bracket by making a couple of L shaped brackets and then bolting it all together.

I had to make sure there was enough room for the air ducting tubes to be fitted to the front outlets which will feed the vents at the end of the dash and the centre air vent.

Started to make a trunking to join up with the centre air vents from some leftover thin gal sheeting.
    Attached Files
    73 Stag Rover 3.9L EFI with 4 Speed ZF Auto

Interesting solution, so I assume you are keeping the original heater box too?
    Mike.
    74 Stag (Best Modified 2007), 02 Maserati 4200, 17 BMW M140i, 00 Mitsubishi Pinin

Comment

Yes I have kept the heater box as standard, except I have added trunking to the centre vent outlets so that when the fresh air flap on the heater unit is closed, half of the AC cool air will be coming out of the centre vent and not back into the heater.

The trunking is coming along and I have tried to make more air come through this to make up for the smaller outlet pipes that divert cool air to the vents at the end of the dash.
      Attached Files

Comment

Is this because you do not have the factory AC unit? Just rebuilding mine, the evaporator seems it may be large enough. Going to a much bigger condenser, modern Sanden compressor, etc.
        Fortunatlly, AC is more of a packaging nightmare than rocket science. I just ordered the Hayden PWM fan controller to manage a pair of larger pushers out front. It has an AC over-ride.

Comment

Im also rebuilding my A/c. Can you tell me which condenser and compressor you will be using. Are you using an adapter plate York to sanden too ?

Comment

Not got that far yet. Just refurbred the inside part. Yes, I'll use the adapter Vintage sells. Which condenser is whatever off-the shelf is as big as will fit. Generic drier with binary switch. I already modified the controls so to use a servo heater valve. ( I posted that). I did a complete DIY in my TVR and boy was that a shoehorn. Next step is just to get some hoses so I can button up the inside portion, put my dash back in and finish re-wiring. All new VDO gauges should get here this week.

Comment

I am going to use a sanden compressor and will get some brackets made up to suit my Rover 3.9L EFI so that it will fit on the RHS near the alternator using a serpentine belt to suit.

Here is the evaporator installed with some insulating foam over it and it fits nicely behind the glove box lid. Air flow from the 3 speed AC fan is also good.

I have also modified my centre console where I removed the useless ashtray and lighter to make way for a USB charger with volt meter.

Also fitted AC and other more modern switches to make the console less busy looking.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X