Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Leak

Hi All

My stag has developed an oil leak. It appears to be coming from the oil pump, but could be coming from the oil pressure sensor take off above. How hard is it to remove and renew the o-rings and gasket in the oil pump. I’ll need to take off the front RH exhaust, which I have done when I changed the gearbox a year ago. The leak seems to be getting worse quickly so I think it’s the o-rings.

any advice much appreciated.

thanks Neil

Could also be from the oil transfer housing O rings (that the oil pressure sensor fits into).

Oil pump is very easy to take off once the downpipe is off. Don't forget the little O ring for the pressure relief valve as well as the main ones. You may find the oil pump drive shaft comes out with the pump - that is not a problem, it will go back OK (might need a little twiddling for it to line up with the heaxagon drive on the bottom of the distributor drive gear).
    Header tanks - you can't beat a bit of bling.

Comment

Hi All
      I have a similar leak from my oil pump and your advice really useful, is it possible to take the oil pump off without taking the down pipe off
      Thanks Rick

Comment

Not on mine, which is an auto. Not sure on a manual.

Just remembered - I filled my pump with oil prior to refitting to aid it's priming when you restart the engine, and spun the engine over on the starter with the ignition disabled to ensure there was oil pressure before letting it run.
        Last edited by wilf; 29th May 2020, 06:59.
        Header tanks - you can't beat a bit of bling.

Comment

Originally posted by wilf View Post
          Not on mine, which is an auto. Not sure on a manual.
          On my manual I was able to dismantle the pump in situ to remove the hexagon drive, this allows the pump body to be removed without removing the exhaust down pipe. I was able to refit the pump assembly by using a blob of grease to hold the hexagon drive into the distributor.

Nigel

Comment

Thanks Wilf & Nigel that will save me worrying about all the potential problems associated with taking the down pipe off

cheers Rick

Comment

Working...
            X