NOT charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOT charging

My recently completely rebuilt 72 is ready for the road. I have driven around the neighborhood to shake out the gremlins - but I have run up against an alternator charging problem.
    The ignition warning light will not light and the alternator will not charge. I have the early style alternator with a 16RA relay and a control unit.

The alternator has been checked and it is good. I tried a new control unit with no luck. The wiring seems ok.., warning light bulb is ok. The only thing left is a another 16RA relay. Is there any way to test the relay I have to see if it is working? Or is there any thing else to do to diagnose this no charge situation. If I had a spare 16RA I would just swap it out - but I don't...ANY suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.
    Michael
    Richmond, Virginia USA

Best fix: Delco CS130. Yea not original but reliable, not prone to draining your battery when sitting, and best of all the new regulators are "tight" enough they are set for 14.7V, not 13.7. THis is a lot more energy for the ignition as well as all the other functions.

Comment

I have a 6RA if you need it.. and a control unit (I'm in Delaware) saw the baggie just the other day!

11AC is 36 amp I think, so its definitely worth considering a newer alternator without all the other stuff that can go wrong.

I tried a 90 amp bosch in the standard position, as recommended a lot by MG and TR owners in the USA, but even though It just fitted I was not happy. Due to the larger size it had little adjustment and the belt was a tad too short, even with a longer belt I felt it stuck out too much and the brackets were not quite right. In the end I gave it up and went for a Remy 13107 from Rock Auto, $65 and its a direct fit, 55Amp alternator. (its from a ford Fiesta 78-80) You will need a Mk2 bracket and the plug (Moss has those plugs) plenty of info on converting mk1 to Mk2 on the site. There are many other options but that seemed the simplest.
      Last edited by trunt; 23rd May 2020, 04:50.
      Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

I wish I had tried the Fiesta in my Morgan. I got a 12si in there, but what a job! There was a Japanese alternator popular back in the mid-80's too.

Comment

Originally posted by trunt View Post
          I have a 6RA if you need it.. and a control unit (I'm in Delaware) saw the baggie just the other day!

11AC is 36 amp I think, so its definitely worth considering a newer alternator without all the other stuff that can go wrong.

I tried a 90 amp bosch in the standard position, as recommended a lot by MG and TR owners in the USA, but even though It just fitted I was not happy. Due to the larger size it had little adjustment and the belt was a tad too short, even with a longer belt I felt it stuck out too much and the brackets were not quite right. In the end I gave it up and went for a Remy 13107 from Rock Auto, $65 and its a direct fit, 55Amp alternator. (its from a ford Fiesta 78-80) You will need a Mk2 bracket and the plug (Moss has those plugs) plenty of info on converting mk1 to Mk2 on the site. There are many other options but that seemed the simplest.
          Pulled out my Lucas. The CS is a lot bigger and it is not going to clear the PS hoses and other junk. Bummer. Well, I can get a new diode pack, get a new 18ACR, or get the Delco. I did not find on Moss the pigtail. Searching other places. I find 18ACR's from 36 pounds, 67 pounds to $275 fron the name catalogs. What a difference. I started another thread on a mystery wire.

Comment

Looks like the 13107 is a Bosch WGL13107N and the connections are two ring terminals. B+ and a small stuc for D+ ( light) Is that correct?

Comment

Plug is 540-280, its just a plug with crimps..
              remy is here..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...37189&jsn=2047

It seems to be the only one that is a direct fit for ACR18

Theres also some china clones, with I think higher output..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERNA...c3c7dcbcde1eb0
              Last edited by trunt; 23rd May 2020, 15:23.

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Cool. So one does not use the main b+ stud? We don't need higher output. 55 is just enough. 105 overkill. 27 in a TR-6 /TVR was not enough. I think early B generators were 24A.

Comment

It seems that I should get a replacement alternator but then I’ll probably need a mark two bracket as well. Are there any more an alternator is that without a mark 2 bracket. In the meantime I will try to source a 16ra relay to test the system do you have one Trunt that I could borrow or buy? Thanks
                  Michael

Comment

Ordered the Fiesta myself. I have a Mk II so easy for me. Disappointed the CS series is too darn big. I bet the old 121 would fit, but no longer available. FOund the lower rad hose was kissing the alternator pulley. Man are things tight in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mdfatsi View Post
                      It seems that I should get a replacement alternator but then I’ll probably need a mark two bracket as well. Are there any more an alternator is that without a mark 2 bracket. In the meantime I will try to source a 16ra relay to test the system do you have one Trunt that I could borrow or buy? Thanks
                      Michael
                      No other alternator for Mk1 bracket that I am aware of.. try StagpartsUSA?? Michael Coffey for the bracket, he may have a used one.

Shoot me your address by PM and I'll send it .. I'm sending some stuff to Scott on Tuesday as well so can do both at the same time..

Terry
                      Last edited by trunt; 23rd May 2020, 20:02.

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by trunt View Post

I am not sure why people think the 11AC is not up to the job and needs replacing? I have one..its fine. I have replaced all bulbs for LEDs, so exactly what is using power? Ignition and the radio.. thats it in general. OK if you use it a lot at night and have the headlamps on, fair enough, but for most you would be lucky if they use 10A.... You just need a good battery.

Comment

OK on that if it’s working leave it alone, but I would say that if my 11ac was on the way out I would go for the 18acr type just to simplify things, ..less to go wrong? That’s what the Op is asking about! Plus people do fit 18 amp electric fans, stereos EWP etc etc.

terry
                          Last edited by trunt; 23rd May 2020, 20:25.

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Ignition, heater fans, wipers, rear window defroster, all loads. My car has AC so two big radiator fans. You can get to 45A pretty easy. Adding a big stereo, electric seat warmers, fog lights, easy to go to over 70! Just add them up. Some alternators fall off @ idle if you are running really slow. 500 or so you may not be into the curve. Your voltmeter will tell the truth.

Comment

Working...
                            X