Farewell Stag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farewell Stag

Well I've done it. I've sold my Stag. I had mixed emotions as I watched it drive away today,especially as I wasn't in it. It was a tough decision but to be honest I'm too darned fussy and refused to take it out if there was any likelihood of rain. This meant that last year for instance I only did 800 miles and in 3 years I've done less than 3000.

There's a lovely part of the story concerning the lady who bought it from me. Sadly she lost her husband last year but he was a close friend and work colleague of the previous owner,who himself died in 2016 having owned the car 27 years in which time he did a full nut and bolt restoration. Anyway the son of the lady who bought the car is 16 but grew up with the car which was always promised to him so it's now rightfully back where it belongs and I know he'll cherish it as I have done. I've always considered myself the Stag's custodian and now I know who I was looking after it for.

I just wanted to thank all the people on this forum whom have offered help and advice and a special mention to Dave-022,from Cornwall who was kind enough to send me a spare Lumenition chopper wheel and wouldn't even let me reimburse his postage. I still want to buy you that pint if and when the pub up here in Threshfield ever reopens.

Anyway farewell and let's hope life gets back to some sort of normality.

regards
    Richard

What now then? Going to join the Lycra louts in the Dales?
    Dave
    1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie6 View Post
      I just wanted to thank all the people on this forum whom have offered help and advice and a special mention to Dave-022,from Cornwall who was kind enough to send me a spare Lumenition chopper wheel and wouldn't even let me reimburse his postage. I still want to buy you that pint if and when the pub up here in Threshfield ever reopens.
      Hello Richard,

Happy to have helped. Sorry to see you go, but pm me your contact details, and I'll take you up on that pint when I'm next up at Chorley!

Hope that you haven't weakened and bought a push-bike....

Dave

Comment

Sorry we never met up. It is going to a very good home. Best of Luck to you. Stay Safe.
        Phil, Mk 2, 1974 Emerald Green, Auto, (HT & Kenlowe Fan)

Comment

Bugger
          "The UK,s Most Easterly Stag" Quad Exhaust- ZF 4 Speed BOX

Comment

What a hart warming story to come out at these difficult times. Must have been worth at least an extra 2 grand over the asking price

Comment

Originally posted by bullstarz View Post
              What a hart warming story to come out at these difficult times. Must have been worth at least an extra 2 grand over the asking price
              The car was sold for exactly the same price I paid for it almost 3 years ago-I even showed her the bill of sale I got when i bought it.

022Dave-No I've definitely not bought a bike!! It's was very frustrating back in April because the weather was super but as the Stag was sold I couldn't drive it or deliver to the new owner. However despite the lockdown being observed by the vast majority of motorists there seemed to be more cyclists than normal. Obviously being on a bike makes you immune.

PhilB- Of course you'd know the new owners from the N&N meetings in Preston. They seem a lovely family and I'm really pleased that the car is going to someone who will cherish it as I did. When I took for the MOT in march the tester was astonished at how good it was and he said it was the best classic he'd ever tested. He said the underside was just like new. All due to the hard work done by former owner John Whittaker who took it off the road for 9 years to fully restore it.

Richard

Comment

Doubt some will do 800 miles in 2020, mine probably won’t.
                Should probably sell, probably won’t!
                +1 for the rain & parking fears too.
                It’s a very special car & story when it goes back to the original owners family.
                thanks for posting....any pictures?
                Last edited by jbuckl; 23rd May 2020, 11:03.
                There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

IMG_0302.JPGIMG_0149 (3).JPGStag 2 (nr Menwith).JPG

Not quite the previous owners family but the 16 year old lad who has now got the car was like a son to John and often accompanied on runs out. I never knew John but at one time he was the area co-ordinator for the Lancashire region and was known as "The Stag Wizard"

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by 022Dave View Post

Hello Richard,

Happy to have helped. Sorry to see you go, but pm me your contact details, and I'll take you up on that pint when I'm next up at Chorley!

Hope that you haven't weakened and bought a push-bike....

Dave
                    Pm sent Dave

Comment

All the best to you Sir

Comment

Working...
                      X