Inner sill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mole42 View Post
    As Ray said above, it is worth remembering that the sill structure is a vital part of the strength of the shell. Also that the 'value engineers' at Triumph removed one of the layers of sill structure - the original cars had four sill panels, outer, inner and two strengthening pieces inside. Most restorations only replace the inner and outer sills and leave out the inner strengthener. It's also a good idea to replace the jacking point strengtheners!
    I always thought the early cars had a three peace sill , inner middle and outer , like the Dolomites
    73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

Originally four pieces, see the Parts Catalogue for part numbers :-) Remember that the Stag is a shortened 2000 saloon with the roof chopped off. The saloon always had a three-piece sill and it also had a fixed roof as part of the structure. Stag probably relied on the T bar for structural support.
      As I wrote, the value engineers got at the Stag body and removed one sill strengthener, it has been said that later cars had the third sill part removed as well although I have no knowledge of that.

Richard
      Last edited by mole42; 24th May 2020, 21:42.
      Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
      2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

I've never seen 4 pieces (but I've only repaired 4 cars tbh. LD152 which i had for a while, had 3
        Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstar View Post
          I've never seen 4 pieces (but I've only repaired 4 cars tbh. LD152 which i had for a while, had 3
          Thats what made me ask never seen or heard of a four peace sill before

Comment

The parts catalogue has four, early cars had three but even that seems to have been left out of the car quite early in the build sequence …
            Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
            2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by mole42 View Post
              The parts catalogue has four, early cars had three but even that seems to have been left out of the car quite early in the build sequence …
              I wonder if the inner sill was once a thinner gauge in combination with 4 or 3 layers and that's why it is now a heavier gauge compared to the outer sill. Maybe someone that has done a resto on an early body can answer that?

Comment

Hi Adrian
                what did you decide on? Cutting up a new inner sill or making your own plates, I’ve got the same decision now, any advice would be welcome.
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Fortyfiver View Post
                  Hi Adrian
                  what did you decide on? Cutting up a new inner sill or making your own plates, I’ve got the same decision now, any advice would be welcome.
                  Alan
                  If it was me id make up repair sections for the inner sill , its a lot of work to fit a whole inner sill ,plus there dear to buy , and its a waist to cut up a sill just for the bottom edge

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Fortyfiver View Post
                    Hi Adrian
                    Alan
                    It probably depends where and how extensive the repair is Alan. I had to repair the inner sill on one of my cars and as the repairs were not massive, it was easier to make.
                    Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by new to this View Post

If it was me id make up repair sections for the inner sill , its a lot of work to fit a whole inner sill ,plus there dear to buy , and its a waist to cut up a sill just for the bottom edge

Dave
                      They also don’t fit very well apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstar View Post

It probably depends where and how extensive the repair is Alan. I had to repair the inner sill on one of my cars and as the repairs were not massive, it was easier to make.
                        As Goldstar says..it depends on the extent of the repair. A few repairs for the bottom edge in opposed right angle bends will be realitively easy, even for the rear end I patched up.

Like I mentioned in my first response on the thread, the extent of lost metal on the front inner on the right hand (off side) I previously tackled took ages and a pain to fabricate. You can see what I had to deal with from the photo attached of the left hand (near side) which I need to tackle next - rotten as a pear! For that reason, I'm planning to use the front section from the new inner sill I purchased decades ago so cost is negligible for me. Even if the initial fit is bad it gives me a good starting point which I can work with / improve.

Ray

Before10 copy.jpg

Comment

Working...
                        X