Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helicoil removal tool

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get hold of a 5/16" helical removal tool, or anything that would work? The nearest available ones are M8 ones from China. I would be very grateful of any help!

Many thanks

Kyle
    "The harder the conflict, the more glorious the Triumph" - Thomas Paine

From China !!!!.

Comment

If nothing else shows up, I won't have much of a choice at this rate. Either that or have the heads off (again this month!) to fix my shoddy helicoiling. I'd rather not!

Comment

I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faithfull...sAAOSwvktagxuF

I managed to get a broken insert out years ago. Sharp tap to slightly push corners of scraper into steel of insert then whilst pushing down unscrew. If you are lucky and luck does come into removing helicoils it unscrews.
        When i was an apprentice more than 50 yrs ago I had a job to helicoil about 50 small holes in a large casting. it had had probably 15 hours of machining done already and yes I broken an insert. Foreman used the triangular scraper trick but only after telling me the cost of the casting would come out of my wages if it didn't work!

- Alan

Comment

Hi Kyle

I bought these ones on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V-Coil-In...em1a83e6987e:g:zt0AAOxyJ59RGf0Z

They work, however the tool metal is soft, so depending how many you need to remove, you may wish (like me) to buy two as they get damaged quickly and won’t work.

I also had to get jewellers files to file little notches for the tool to grab. Don’t file too far into the insert or it becomes a nightmare to get them out.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
          Last edited by JeffW; 22nd May 2020, 07:52.

Comment

I have fulled a fews helicals out just with a pair of slim nose plairs. you need to use a thin screwdriver to lift the end out a bit and then use plairs to tug out, comes out as if you pulled a spring to much.

Comment

Ive removed helicoils with a small screw driver and long nose pliers

Dave
              73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

As Dave said, if you can prize the top edge of the helicoil out of its groove it is easy to grip the end with a pair of pliers and just pull it out, it unravels reasonably easily.

John
                Your wife is right, size matters. 3.9RV8

Comment

What these guys said^^^
                  Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

OK! Thank you very much, I expected I would further damage the head. I'll try tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by HQentity View Post
                      OK! Thank you very much, I expected I would further damage the head. I'll try tomorrow!
                      Why are you tiring to remove the helicoil ? have you cross threaded it or fitted the wrong one ,they should be 5/16 unc and 3/8 unc

Dave
                      73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

The bolts won’t go far down enough, I don’t think I drilled/put the threads far enough in to the heads. I’ve torqued them up as high as 35Nm but they just won’t go in. So I’m going to take them out and try again if I can!

Comment

I bet a garage would shorten the bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by HQentity View Post
                            The bolts won’t go far down enough, I don’t think I drilled/put the threads far enough in to the heads. I’ve torqued them up as high as 35Nm but they just won’t go in. So I’m going to take them out and try again if I can!
                            Might be a bit of an impudent question (Grandmothers sucking eggs etc.) but the tang at the end of the helicoil is broken off, non? Can't see why putting in a helicoil would shorten the hole if you're using the original bolt lengths (exhaust? Inlet manifold?).

Drew
                            If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Originally posted by alan_thomas View Post
                              I have one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Faithfull...sAAOSwvktagxuF

I managed to get a broken insert out years ago. Sharp tap to slightly push corners of scraper into steel of insert then whilst pushing down unscrew. If you are lucky and luck does come into removing helicoils it unscrews.
                              When i was an apprentice more than 50 yrs ago I had a job to helicoil about 50 small holes in a large casting. it had had probably 15 hours of machining done already and yes I broken an insert. Foreman used the triangular scraper trick but only after telling me the cost of the casting would come out of my wages if it didn't work!

- Alan
                              That brings back memories. When I was an apprentice we used to have to bottom tap these massive castings from the machine shop. A horrible, boring job. Every other fitter in the shop would listen for the sound of a centre punch being hit by a hammer. This meant you were attempting to remove a broken tap. They would immediately surround you and clap their hands until the foreman appeared to give you hell.
                              John
                              1978 Stag Brooklands Green

Comment

Working...
                              X