Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time buyer, help and advice needed!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Also, sorry, another question..

    If I did end up getting this, and the engine needed replacing, would I have to go for another Ford V6? Or would a Ford V8 fit the same running gear/ transmission? Or is it really hard to tell?

    Sorry for the stupid questions...

    Thanks
    Only the important people have signatures.

    Comment


      #17
      Hi

      Not sure a Ford small block would fit without serious modifications,you would also be getting a serious power upgrade with a Ford V8, doubt the existing Trans or Diff could handle the power.

      If you stick with the V6 it would be a straight swop and inexpensive if you could find one that is,or better still have the present one rebuilt. A Rover V8 would be a better proposition as these conversions have been done many times and all conversion parts are readily available plus the car will be worth more when you re sell.
      Having said that, you have to be careful with a Rover V8 as most have been hammered to within an inch of their lives and poorly maintained, unless of course you intend on rebuilding it anyway.

      At the end of the day it all comes down to your own ability in doing as much of the work yourself and what you want to spend. Best try and save a bit more and get a better car, I know that's easier said than done.

      Good luck

      Roger S

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by RogerS View Post
        Hi

        Not sure a Ford small block would fit without serious modifications,you would also be getting a serious power upgrade with a Ford V8, doubt the existing Trans or Diff could handle the power.

        If you stick with the V6 it would be a straight swop and inexpensive if you could find one that is,or better still have the present one rebuilt. A Rover V8 would be a better proposition as these conversions have been done many times and all conversion parts are readily available plus the car will be worth more when you re sell.
        Having said that, you have to be careful with a Rover V8 as most have been hammered to within an inch of their lives and poorly maintained, unless of course you intend on rebuilding it anyway.

        At the end of the day it all comes down to your own ability in doing as much of the work yourself and what you want to spend. Best try and save a bit more and get a better car, I know that's easier said than done.

        Good luck

        Roger S
        Thank you Roger! I think as you say, stick with the same V6 and either get it re-built or straight swap. Sounds good to me.
        Only the important people have signatures.

        Comment


          #19
          Afternoon Chix,

          From the MoT results, the only one that has signs written all over it is the rust floor panel/sill area. Whilst not supporting suspension, it'll still require a fair bit of cutting/welding, and if it's gone inside the sill area, who knows what lies beneath ?
          Getting headlight alignment sorted should be ok. (Looking back on previous MoT's for my own car, I see it too was presented with both headlights incorrectly aligned.) New adjusters are readily available, if they have seized.
          The rear lights can and do suffer from poor contact with the "springy fingers" on the holders. Clean those up (and the aperture they fit into) with reasonably coarse iron oxide paper or a (best) glass fibre stick/pencil should solve things.
          As for how the V6 sounds, I can't make any judgement. If I were you, I'd find out what the oil pressure should be at idle / road speed, then enquire what it is now.
          I'll stand by my original thoughts, if the car is brought to you, you might feel pressured into buying, even though the car isn't what you want. It is far easier to say no, when someone hasn't just transported a car over 100 miles to your door.
          Best of luck,
          Stay safe,

          Neil.
          '77 Tahiti Blue, Spax, MoD, poly-bushed.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Chix View Post
            Also, sorry, another question..

            If I did end up getting this, and the engine needed replacing, would I have to go for another Ford V6? Or would a Ford V8 fit the same running gear/ transmission? Or is it really hard to tell?

            Sorry for the stupid questions...

            Thanks
            Most engines can be made to fit the engine bay, its just a case of money and imagination. Your gearbox will possibly fit a small block V8 engine but it might not last that long. The engine in the video did sound a bit noisy, i wouldn't want to drive it a long way for your maiden voyage.

            Comment


              #21
              Brilliant, thanks team. Hopefully going up to have a look at it on Thursday.

              Good shout about the oil pressure, any other questions I need to ask? He's got the V5 and the original heritage certificate.

              Chix
              Only the important people have signatures.

              Comment


                #22
                Yep, better YOU go to see it, that way if it really isn't what you were hoping for, it will be much easier to politely say it isn't for you.
                And I did think it sounded a bit "tappety", as also pointed out above.
                Best of luck,
                Stay safe,

                Neil.
                '77 Tahiti Blue, Spax, MoD, poly-bushed.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Hi all

                  I’m in a dilemma so as in a well known TV show I’m phoning a friend (or in this case the members).

                  I have a MK1 and a MK2. The MK2 is early so probably a MK1.5 if there is such a thing.

                  Both have good and not so good things about them.

                  I have to sell one so:-

                  Which should I keep and why?

                  Mark

                  Comment


                    #24
                    When you go to see it dont go to buy it, just to have a look. 5k seems a realistic price for a car with MOT and issues. You will always have issues but this car could be good to start with. Like everyone says the 1 main problem is rust ... ............and the engine.

                    The 2 main problem are rust and the engine.....and cooling system.

                    The 3 main problems are rust, engine and cooling system....and electrics

                    The 4 main problems are rust, engine, cooling system and electrics....oh and dont forget the brakes, other than that the cars are solid

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by bullstarz View Post
                      When you go to see it dont go to buy it, just to have a look. 5k seems a realistic price for a car with MOT and issues. You will always have issues but this car could be good to start with. Like everyone says the 1 main problem is rust ... ............and the engine.

                      The 2 main problem are rust and the engine.....and cooling system.

                      The 3 main problems are rust, engine and cooling system....and electrics

                      The 4 main problems are rust, engine, cooling system and electrics....oh and dont forget the brakes, other than that the cars are solid
                      I think you forgot to mention rust and the engine
                      73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Rackned View Post
                        Hi all

                        I’m in a dilemma so as in a well known TV show I’m phoning a friend (or in this case the members).

                        I have a MK1 and a MK2. The MK2 is early so probably a MK1.5 if there is such a thing.

                        Both have good and not so good things about them.

                        I have to sell one so:-

                        Which should I keep and why?

                        Mark
                        If it were me, I'd keep my favorite

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Hi team!

                          So went up to see it, I love it.

                          Yes it's a bit of a mess, but I'm seeing mostly cosmetic stuff that I can fix up.

                          1) Bump started it (I think wiring is shot, literally, there is a wire hanging loose not connected to anything!) and engine sounded good, drove it around block, got it up into 4th, felt great, no sounds, gears felt good.

                          2) Took some pictures of the underside, these are the absolute worst bits, the rest looks ok.

                          But please be honest! Not too bad, or wouldn't touch with a barge pole?

                          IMG_6968 2.jpeg
                          IMG_6969 2.jpeg

                          IMG_6970 2.jpeg

                          IMG_6971 2.jpegIMG_6965.jpeg


                          Only the important people have signatures.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            O dear. Walk away !!!

                            That has signs written all over it. It will be far worse within compared to what you see outside. That's an immediate MOT fail. That sill has more pod than in my 5 ltr can and I haven't opened it yet!


                            Sorry.

                            Roger S

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Yes, walk away. Pictures show a mixture of bodges and very poor quality welded repairs. It needs major restoration work done.
                              It's obvious why he wants rid of it.

                              Pete

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Can you weld ? it looks like its going to need
                                1/ rear valance and maybe part of the boot floor
                                2/ out riggers floor edges or replacement floor panels
                                3/ sill and foot well repair
                                4/ front chassis rail repair

                                Dave
                                73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X