Auto Box blowing out fluid.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Box blowing out fluid.

Any Thoughts on this please. Did 90 mile round trip to work to day and on the return leg aprox 3 mile from my home I could smell a sweet hot smell. Pulled in to my drive to see a trail of auto transmission fluid. Look under car to see it pouring out from around the gearbox sump. I recall it doing this when I bought the car and did a 30 mile trip, same thing but not as much. Same again I let it cool before I moved the car in to the garage. Gearbox is working fine. My thinking Is that the fluid is getting to hot after a 30 mile plus run and is being forced out some where. Could the oil cooler be blocked or restricted.
    I'm going to get the car up on ramps tomorrow a, to clarify its BW 65 box and to see if I can see where its all coming from.
    Any help would be great
    Cheers
    Simon

Firstly check it isn't overfilled. A very overfull trans will blow it out. If that is fine (if you are able) disconnect the REAR most cooler pipe from the trans, stick some hose on it & into a container. With someone in the car, h/brake on & foot on the brake, start it up & put it in drive. Oil should be flowing into the container, if it isn't or there is very little flow then you have found the problem. Then find a point where you can disconnect the front pipe (probably at the hose up front) & repeat. If the flow is good then the issue is blocked hose/cooler/crushed pipe. I would doubt it is internal unless the oil is running out of the bell housing & blowing back over the sump, in which case it is a box out job. If this is the case DON'T be tempted to just fit (or get fitted) just the seal, it will need to have the pump body bush changed & the converter neck checked.
    Auto transmission rebuilding since 1979 - for my sins!

Comment

The transmission dipstick markings are for hot & cold not high & low. Check the hot level with engine running & box in neutral. Also check breather pipe connection. Then adjust level. Then clean off & check for leaks. Common places are breather, selector, sump, input, output, dipstick tube. Cooler connection leaks are possible but not that common.
      Last edited by jbuckl; 7th May 2020, 23:45.
      There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

but cycle the box through the gears to ensure the oil is throughout the box

Comment

Thank you gents, going to start by checking the level when cold then hopefully get it up in the air to have a visual and to clarify what box I have.
          I will keep you all posted. Again thank you all for your advice.

Comment

Staying on topic my box leaks oil when just stationary in the garage or after a run but it’s not consistent. Sometimes it doesn’t leak at all for months. The other day I had to turn the ignition on but not run the car, the following day There was far more oil on the floor, can anybody give me an indication as to why this is happening thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rackned View Post
              Staying on topic my box leaks oil when just stationary in the garage or after a run but it’s not consistent. Sometimes it doesn’t leak at all for months. The other day I had to turn the ignition on but not run the car, the following day There was far more oil on the floor, can anybody give me an indication as to why this is happening thanks
              This has happened to me as well, after yesterday I moved the car back and there was only a little in the drip trays. This is my first auto so I need all the help I can get.

Comment

Ok so I’ve done the level check as it says in the manual, no oil on the dip stick. My concerns are that my dip stick does not have hot and cold on it and is only 14” long. Is this normal or am I unlucky to have the wrong dip stick. Jacking it up next to see what box it is.

Comment

HI,

Looking at the pictures you took when you first got the car you have a BW35 box. From what you describe it could be that the breather pipe has split or come away from the box. It is a bit awkward to get to but it is doable. It happened on mine and in the course of a 50 mile drive it dumped a lot of the fluid onto the exhaust - nice lot of white smoke behind! Only seemed to dump at higher speeds. When I got back the level was off of the bottom of the dipstick and the box was slipping on fast left hand bends!!

If you follow the breather pipe down with your hand from the engine bay to the gearbox, it should come up near the dipstick tube and loop over the servo, you should be able to see/feel if it is connected or not. If it still looks like the original black rubber, chances are it could be cracked/split. Easy check to do - I always start with the easy no cost stuff first!!

Once you have checked/fixed the breather then fill it back up with fluid. You can't properly check the level when cold. You need to run the engine, get it all warmed up, cycle through the gears if just topped up, then turn off and check the level immediately (within 30 secs to a minute).

Roger
                  White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
                  So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                    HI,

Looking at the pictures you took when you first got the car you have a BW35 box. From what you describe it could be that the breather pipe has split or come away from the box. It is a bit awkward to get to but it is doable. It happened on mine and in the course of a 50 mile drive it dumped a lot of the fluid onto the exhaust - nice lot of white smoke behind! Only seemed to dump at higher speeds. When I got back the level was off of the bottom of the dipstick and the box was slipping on fast left hand bends!!

If you follow the breather pipe down with your hand from the engine bay to the gearbox, it should come up near the dipstick tube and loop over the servo, you should be able to see/feel if it is connected or not. If it still looks like the original black rubber, chances are it could be cracked/split. Easy check to do - I always start with the easy no cost stuff first!!

Once you have checked/fixed the breather then fill it back up with fluid. You can't properly check the level when cold. You need to run the engine, get it all warmed up, cycle through the gears if just topped up, then turn off and check the level immediately (within 30 secs to a minute).

Roger
                    Hi Roger

many thanks for your input. Bit cheeky but could I call you for a chat please. If possible text me you’re number and I’ll call you back 07764767592. Thank you.
                    regards Simon.

Comment

Ok so under the car is covered in fluid so no real idea where its coming from. I removed the plastic mesh vent under the bell housing and got my fingers in side and the bottom has fluid in it. Could this be from the main seal leaking under temp and pressure.
                      Allso I could just see the ID plate on the box and it is blue and I could just make out the numbers I think were 383.
                      Last edited by simonmetalback; 9th May 2020, 11:49.

Comment

It’s possible if that area has transmission oil in it, that the input shaft seal is the culprit. Don’t be too hasty in a diagnosis. Btw, is it a 35 or 65 ? 35 has large alloy sump.

Comment

Originally posted by jbuckl View Post
                          It’s possible if that area has transmission oil in it, that the input shaft seal is the culprit. Don’t be too hasty in a diagnosis. Btw, is it a 35 or 65 ? 35 has large alloy sump.

Comment

Appears to be a type 35 if that’s correct, the procedure to change the front seal is easier than the type 65. The box comes off the converter housing from underneath. Requires careful reassembly as the converter drive lugs must pass through the new front seal without catching / damaging.

Comment

Ok sorry for all the stupid questions. Took a photo of my transmission dipstick. As you can see it does not have the hot and cold marks on it so I take it its for hi and low. its 14 inches long I'm thinking it could be the wrong dipstick. Hopefully the TM fluid will be here Monday and I can get the car round to the garage to get it up on the ramps for a better look.
                              Ill keep you all posted.
                              Again thank you all for your input it's really apreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X