Power steering help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering help needed

I need to test a power steering circuit. Both the spare rack and spare pump are unknown to be working however, I rebuilt the rack 18 years back including the spool valve. The rack didn’t work back then in my running Stag.
    Fast forward 18 years:
    I am now working on Stag No.2 I rebuild the rack again and made sure the spool valve is right. (fingers crossed). The rack is in the engine-less car with the front wheels of the ground.
    This evening I put a drill on the end of the pump bolt, spun it up clockwise, I got my kid to turn the steering wheel. - There is no assist.

Can I do the following:
    Will the drill be able to provide enough pressure to power the system? If a car idles at 600- 800 RPM, my drill runs much faster)
    When testing the system, should the wheels be on the ground? (so there is some amount of torsion on the torsion bar in the control valve)
    Can I test the pump alone with the spin of the drill with the pipe from the pump in two separate jars? One with fluid for the return pipe and an empty one for the supply?
    If the pump is working and I reconnect it to the rack, should fluid always be flowing through the system?

I’m determined to get this working, as I have successfully rebuilt Stag’s no1. rack including new O rings in the torsion bar within the spool valve. The only thing I did’t change was the PTFE O rings. Granted Stag no. 1 rack was working in the first place.

If push comes to shove, I could swap the pump with the running Stag and hammerite the bracket at the same time.

Sujit

on a fresh system you may find you will have to go from lock to lock a couple of times to fill the system with oil before it will work properly, give that a try. and report back.
    Phil

Comment

Will try again today. thx

Comment

I would think there needs to be considerable resistance on the steering to operate the control valve, so as you say put the wheels on the floor or lock them in position by strapping them to the body to resist them turning. If it is working the load will increase dramatically on the pump and I suspect you drill will very quickly run out of grunt.
        White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
        So many cars, so little time!

Comment

I took the pump of my running '71 to see how that operates, Using a drill, fluid is pumped out of the high pressure line. Fluid does not get sucked into the pump. The unknown pump needs rebuilding.

I took the unknown rebuilt rake out of the car and hooked it up the the working pump. It's sitting the floor. I didn't notice any power but, I noticed some resistance on the drill when pumping.

Fortunately, I found and replaced a metal pipe which had a hair line crack in it.

Sujit

Comment

Working...
          X