Gearbox noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gearbox noise.

I have a 1977 Stag with a BW 65 auto box. Fluid levels are as they should be. The car drives beautifully and gearchanges are very good. Kick down is as should be on demand. Sometimes on coming to a halt at junctions or in traffic there is a distinct whooshing sound - fairly high tone but not loud. The tickover when warm in neutral is quite high at around 1000 but when holding in gear drops down to ~650 and the green oil light shows but immediately disappears when the brake is released. I wondered whether the high free running tickover was perhaps the issue and was causing the box to drag when pulling up. As I said initially, the car drives beautifully. Has anybody any ideas please as to the possible issue and whether it sounds like trouble? Thanks, Nick.

I don’t know the answer 100% Nick but I would definitely start by getting the tickover down to the recommended range from the ROM (650 -750rpm I think) and see what you get then.

The green light is a slight worry is your engine oil level correct and have you got a felt sealing washer on tour dipstick?

just found my ROM - isle should be 700-750 for European market cars
    Last edited by Goldstar; 11th February 2020, 11:14.
    Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

Thanks for that Goldstar. I will check all of the above. On purchase the tickover was all over the place which was traced to intake air leaks at gaskets and breathers. This has been dealt with on a temporary basis and engine runs quite smoothly now. Permanent solutions as in new gaskets and new breather hoses are en-route to me so hopefully this will permanently resolve the issue and I can get a regular tickover within correct range. Thanks, Nick.

Comment

Working...
      X