Checking the oil level on a type 65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking the oil level on a type 65

I know I have seen how to check the oil level on here somewhere but I can’t seem to find it
    my new refurbished gearbox decided to relieve itself of some oil all over the garage floor
    I know I put the right amount of oil in so why would this happen
    anyway I now need to check the oil level which brings me back to the question above
    thanks to you all knowing super people
    Rich

The marks on the dipstick are hot and cold. Ensure the fluid isn’t over the upper mark after a run . Best checked with 2 people...one to hold the car on the foot take & in drive.the other to dip & check.
    other things to check include the breather pipe & it’s security
    There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

Rich.
      It may be that the breather tube has either not been replaced, or is a loose fit over the spigot on the gearbox.
      Mike.

Comment

Will check ASAP breather tube
        no way she is going out with salt on the road so will have to wait until spring to warm gearbox
        I have to sort fuel tank as well
        I will start a new thread on that one

Comment

And thanks for the ideas
          does the breather tube deteriorate?

Comment

Imagine it does. When fixing mine I used clear pvc tube & a petrol pipe clip over the spigot. Then fitted a ZF
            There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

That makes sense will change it
              Rich

Comment

The rubber original tends to harden with age at the gearbox end, and then doesn't seal properly. Usually the open end is unaffected, so if you can't get a replacement you could try fitting it the other way round, with a clip or cable tie.
                Mike.

Comment

Assuming this is an auto box it could be the non-return valve letting oil back from the torque converter. Mine has dumped oil after returning from a trip within minutes - oil exits via all sort of gaps where oil is suddenly higher than it should be. It’s sporadic and normally takes a week or two - regular running will keep the oil in. I don’t know where/how the non-return valve is located or if serviceable as it would be a nice fix if it could be done without removing the box.

Comment

Working...
                  X