Mark 1 radiator pressure cap issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark 1 radiator pressure cap issues

Hi everyone, would welcome any comments. I have a mark1 and I just fitted the Stagweber header tank. I have also fitted the Tony hart supergill rad. I have a 20lb pressure cap on the header tank and a 13lb pressure cap on the rad. I started the car for the first time today and didn’t have any leaks which I was very pleased about but when I switched off the engine, coolant started to leak from the 13lb pressure cap on the rad. I made the mistake of taking off the rad cap and coolant game gushing out! Should I now fit a 20lb cap to the rad?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Niall View Post
    Hi everyone, would welcome any comments. I have a mark1 and I just fitted the Stagweber header tank. I have also fitted the Tony hart supergill rad. I have a 20lb pressure cap on the header tank and a 13lb pressure cap on the rad. I started the car for the first time today and didn’t have any leaks which I was very pleased about but when I switched off the engine, coolant started to leak from the 13lb pressure cap on the rad. I made the mistake of taking off the rad cap and coolant game gushing out! Should I now fit a 20lb cap to the rad?

Thanks in advance.
    Funnily enough I have just fitted the same Stagweber tank to my MK1.. and had a post running .. its on the next page

I would say you need the 20psi cap on the radiator (or a blank from LD) I take it you sealed off the expansion pipe coming from the radiator to your original expansion bottle?
    The 13psi goes on the stagweber tank. see pictures of mine on the post. I connected in where the tap is (used to be ) on the radiator

Comment

Many thanks. Yes, I have blanked off the expansion pipe (that was in the stagweber instructions). That’s a good idea to swap the rad caps around so that the 13psi one is on the header tank as the header tank has the drain off tube which I have just put down to the wheel arch (for any excess).

Comment

Originally posted by Niall View Post
        Many thanks. Yes, I have blanked off the expansion pipe (that was in the stagweber instructions). That’s a good idea to swap the rad caps around so that the 13psi one is on the header tank as the header tank has the drain off tube which I have just put down to the wheel arch (for any excess).
        Funnily enough I spoke to Chris at Stagwebber and the blanking off that tube he had not thought about on a Mk1.. where it says that in the instructions he meant for a Mk2... but its still correct of course. I put the drain off tube on the stagweber back to the original expansion bottle.. as why not? if it ever leaked, why posion the environment and anyway catch it and poor it back in the weber tank

Here is mine... note the crafty way I have connected the tank output to the place where the tap goes on the radiator, this prevents any potential bypassing

IMG_1635.JPG

Comment

Oh I see thanks ....it was the old expansion pipe.
          For a full flow header tank system, the outlet from the tank should be routed into the low pressure / cold side of the system.
          Hope to post a diagram tomorrow.
          sorry to hear of all the other issues too.
          Fwiw I fitted a header tank in 1992 to my stag.
          Then removed it after fixing the root cause of the cars cooling system issues. ‘Header tank free since 1993!’
          As far as can be established , triumph canley invented the full flow header tank system in the late sixties/early seventies on engine testbeds to automatically eliminate cooling system air locks.
          Subsequently adopted by many oems.
          Many header tank systems fitted to stags shown here don’t have the pre-requisites to work properly sadly, but don’t harm either.
          Last edited by jbuckl; 13th January 2020, 01:13.
          There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

Originally posted by jbuckl View Post
            Oh I see thanks ....it was the old expansion pipe.
            For a full flow header tank system, the outlet from the tank should be routed into the low pressure / cold side of the system.
            Hope to post a diagram tomorrow.
            sorry to hear of all the other issues too.
            Fwiw I fitted a header tank in 1992 to my stag.
            Then removed it after fixing the root cause of the cars cooling system issues. ‘Header tank free since 1993!’
            As far as can be established , triumph canley invented the full flow header tank system in the late sixties/early seventies on engine testbeds to automatically eliminate cooling system air locks.
            Subsequently adopted by many oems.
            Many header tank systems fitted to stags shown here don’t have the pre-requisites to work properly sadly, but don’t harm either.
            Interested to know what "root cause" was and what are "pre-requisites to work properly"
            TIA
            Maurice

Comment

Interested to know what "root cause" was and what are "pre-requisites to work properly"
              Root cause:-cylinder pressure in cooling system (slight head gasket failure)
              Pre-requisites :- feed into tank should be from hi pressure side & small pipe above tanks return; return from tank to system should be to low pressure side & larger hose.
              There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

Thanks
                Maurice

Comment

Working...
                X