Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In another Thread (but can't find the post) someone posted a picture showing they had put the wooden handle of a large screwdriver between the spring/hinge and body whilst they worked on refitting the roller. I have currently got a pipe wrench there, but will be replacing it with a block of wood when I start refitting the roller. I have already partly straightened the piece through which the roller goes - using the aforementioned pipe wrench. Am now posting a picture below of what I am talking about, the rubber will go back in pace when the job is done.
    Hinge2.jpg
    Last edited by Tdm; 10th December 2019, 11:15.
    Terry (home - Los Cristianos) ~ (YouTube site - "Tenerife Terry" to see uploaded videos)

Comment

Thanks for posting the pics terry. Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markmark2 View Post
        Thanks for posting the pics terry. Mark
        Your welcome Mark, I will probably fit the roller tomorrow after straightening the bracket that holds it a little more.
        As tomorrow is my Birthday I am keeping my fingers crossed that the VC I ordered will finally arrive, but knowing the Post here it might be a forelone hope. Would love to get my Stag running again before the end of the year, and take it on a run as the temperature here is rising again, November being the coldest month.

My windscreen ITV (MOT) sticker also exires at the end of this year, although I have got another 3 years before I need to have the car tested again. They don't issue stickers for more than 2 years in advance, so I have been told I need to drive the car to the Testing Station and ask for a new sticker but without it having to go through the Test again.

I am keeping my hopes up that once I have fitted the new VC, I can set the Timing and Carb mixture to get the engine running smoothly again, and that I have got rid of all the oil leaks. 2020 will mean I have been running the car continuously for 26 years now, and am not going to give up on it just yet, even though in January 2021 I have to take a Driving Test again to renew my License.

Unless the VC turns up tomorrow, I am unlkely to be making any posts during the day, as I am going to enjoy myself, and will probably have had quite a few pints by the end of it after enjoying a nice meal in a local Restaurant with my wife and several friends, and it could be that I will sleep throughout the Genreal Election Day on the 12th. At the moment the £Pound Sterling is rising in value which is good news for me, and it will be interesting to see what the Rate is on December the 13th.
        Terry (home - Los Cristianos) ~ (YouTube site - "Tenerife Terry" to see uploaded videos)

Comment

Got a nice birthday surprise yesterday, my new VC turned up and this morning whilst nursing a bit of a hangover I fitted it to the Fan ready to go back on. Spent part of yesterday underneath the car trying to attach a nut to the sump bolt that was missing one, but didn't complete the job as it is the bolt that is most awkward to get at and you can only get thin spanners on the top and bottom because of the restricted space.

Eventually got the nut half way down the bolt, but then gave up in order to get ready to go out for the evening. Will accept a neighbours offer of help probably tomorrow as it needs one person to hold the nut with one spanner whilst I crawl under the car turning the bolt with the other spanner but can only do it about an inch at a time, and there isn't room to get one of my ratchet spanners on it so it's a slow difficult job, and I now know why the garage didn't attempt it, even though I had told them about it.

Don't want to refit the Fan etc., until I have got this bolt tightened up as it could be one source of the bottom end oil leak I had, and with the Fan fitted it would be even more awkward to get at the nut and bolt.
          New VC2.jpg

Comment

Need some more advice?
            Got the sump bolt/nut sorted, and starting refitting the VC & Fan, but can't get the crank bolt up to the recommended 120 lbs/s.in.
            Got a chain on the pully and got to 90 lbs/sq.in then the pully started slipping and couldn't get the bolt any tighter.
            Haven't got any rope or leather strap to try at the moment, is there another way of stopping the engine turning so I can tighten the bolt more?

Comment

Originally posted by Tdm View Post
              is there another way of stopping the engine turning so I can tighten the bolt more?
              I refer to post #6. In gear, handbrake fully on. If you have someone to help, then get them to sit in the car and push hard on the foot brake at the same time. Not ideal, but it works and does no more harm than trying to undo the bolt using the starter motor.
              Have you used any threadlock on the bolt? I would.
              Dave
              1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by DJT View Post

I refer to post #6. In gear, handbrake fully on. If you have someone to help, then get them to sit in the car and push hard on the foot brake at the same time. Not ideal, but it works and does no more harm than trying to undo the bolt using the starter motor.
                Have you used any threadlock on the bolt? I would.
                Dave, Terry's car is an auto so that won't work unfortunately.

Terry, I think your easiest option is to try to borrow some Stilsons, sometimes called a pipewrench - like the ones in the attached picture. You need a largish pair (at least 18", possibly 24"). Use them to grip the pulley "shaft" between the V belt bit and the timing cover. The harder you turn the more they grip. Any decent plumber should have some, maybe your complex maintenance guy could lend you a pair or even help you, it will take literally 2 minutes with his help.

stilsons.jpg

Roger
                White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
                So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post

Ok.
                  Dave
                  1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                    Terry, I think your easiest option is to try to borrow some Stilsons, sometimes called a pipewrench - like the ones in the attached picture. You need a largish pair (at least 18", possibly 24"). Use them to grip the pulley "shaft" between the V belt bit and the timing cover. The harder you turn the more they grip. Any decent plumber should have some, maybe your complex maintenance guy could lend you a pair or even help you, it will take literally 2 minutes with his help.
                    stilsons.jpg
                    Roger
                    Roger I have a pair exactly like the one in your photo (not the ones shown as a wedge in my boot lid photo), and have actually used them to bend straight the boot lid support bracket.
                    Hadn't thought to use them as you say, and I still have them in the boot, they are not likely to cause any damage to the pully "shaft" are they?.

Comment

Originally posted by Tdm View Post

They are not likely to cause any damage to the pully "shaft" are they?.
                      None that matters. They will mark the casting where the teeth dig in, but not too much if you get them positioned nicely so the teeth get a good "bite" first time. A large pair does just fit into the gap behind the vee pulley and the front of the timing cover. They beauty of gripping the pulley there rather than on the outer edge of the pulley is there is no stress on the rubber damper and virtually no risk of damaging the Vee pulley itself. The bigger a pair you have the better. I'm pretty sure my 2ft long ones wedge against the chassis rail leaving you with both hands free to torque up the bolt. If yours are not long enough to do that try slipping a piece of tube over the end of the handle to extend it. Even a small pair of Stilsons will grip remarkably well and should get you to the torque you need.

Roger

White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
                      So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Hi Terry
                        Did mine exactly as Roger states with stilsons no problems.
                        Chris TV8 O/D Carmine, Scirocco TDI 180 R Line

Comment

Thanks Roger, have a very busy day tomorrow but should have a couple of hours free between 1.15pm and 3pm.
                          A couple of friends currently out here on holiday said that they would be around at the time to help me get the carankshaft bolt tightened up.

In the morning I am playing snooker, then later in the afternoon am helping setting up the tables for tomorrow nights Xmas Dinner Dance where we have several local perfromers on stage to help the night go with a swing as it is a Charity evening organised by my wife where all the proceeeds go to under privelged children on Tenerife.

On Sunday I am away in Tenerife's Capitol - Santa Cruz for 3 days with a couple one of which who has an important Hospital appointent there. If I don't get the crankshaft bolt sorted tomorrow, it is likely to be Wednesday before I can do any more work on the Stag.

I do appreciate the responses I get on the Forum when I post a problem, as it is usually up to me alone to sort them out. Once I have got the crankshaft bolt on properly, and replaced the radiator and coolant, it shouldn't be too difficult a job to sort out the Timing and Carb mixture to get the engine running sweet again (and hopefully without any serious oil leaks)..

Comment

+1 on the stilsons, used them to retighten my crank pulley bolt with no problems at all. Mine are more like 3 foot long, da** heavy!
                            Header tanks - you can't beat a bit of bling.

Comment

Looks like tomorrow lunchtime I will be getting my own Stilsons out of the boot and onto the Pully shaft.
                              You never know, I might have my Stag running again by Xmas.

I hear a lot here of people having problems with their modern cars, usually electrically related, and it's not a mechanic needed to sort them out, but an auto electrician or a Computer technician.

Makes me glad I bought a Classic Car all those years ago, despite the current problems I am having, a "Spanner and a Hammer" being part of the invaluable tools needed to fix it. .

Comment

From my experience with "moderns", it's not an auto-electrician or a computer technician you need to fix a problem, it's an amply filled wallet! Just change one box after another until either the problem or the customer goes away!
                                If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Working...
                                X