Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BW65 Filter question

Hi Guy's,

I'm working through my car, servicing, replacing, repairing etc. I will be changing the oil on my BW65 auto box soon and was wondering, with regards to the filter, do these need replacing of just cleaning

Many thanks

Craig

Jabba.
    The oil in the gearbox and torque converter are one and the same, but the torque convertor cannot be drained without removing it. In which case there is not much point in just replacing what is in the gearbox, as the moment you start the engine it will get pumped round and mixed with the old oil in the torque converter. There is no filter as such, just a gauze screen, which you could remove and wash if you wanted to.
    Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Lingen View Post
      Jabba.
      The oil in the gearbox and torque converter are one and the same, but the torque convertor cannot be drained without removing it. In which case there is not much point in just replacing what is in the gearbox, as the moment you start the engine it will get pumped round and mixed with the old oil in the torque converter. There is no filter as such, just a gauze screen, which you could remove and wash if you wanted to.
      Mike.
      Sorry but that isn't true. Oil changes are very worthwhile. If you want to get more old oil out, change the oil twice. Always change or wash the filter out, replace is best. Do NOT overtighten the pan bolts.
      Auto transmission rebuilding since 1979 - for my sins!

Comment

Originally posted by Alacrity View Post

Sorry but that isn't true. Oil changes are very worthwhile. If you want to get more old oil out, change the oil twice. Always change or wash the filter out, replace is best. Do NOT overtighten the pan bolts.
        I took a sharp intake of breath at Lingens response and reached for the Quote button but the Professional got their first

I might question why the fluid is being changed? is it not cherry red? does it smell burnt? is the box misbehaving?

If the fluid is just dirty (rather than burned) then a change might help.

Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Fit a BW35, the amount required to "top up" after it has dumped on the floor when left sitting unused for a few weeks ensures a constant oil change

On a more serious note if there is nothing wrong with an auto box, BW35 or 65 ior ZF for that matter, how often should the fluid be changed. I always assumed that as long as the box was behaving and the oil still looked clean and "red" not dirty/discoloured and smelled "fresh" not "burnt" then it was OK.

Roger
          Last edited by marshman; 28th November 2019, 12:11.
          White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
          So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Originally posted by richardthestag View Post

I took a sharp intake of breath at Lingens response and reached for the Quote button but the Professional got their first

I might question why the fluid is being changed? is it not cherry red? does it smell burnt? is the box misbehaving?

If the fluid is just dirty (rather than burned) then a change might help.
            Hi Richard, sorry I should have explained at the beginning. I've only had the car for a month and as with most of the cars I have owned and still own, I tend to change all the fluids so I know when it was done and that I'm starting from a clean sheet, if you know what I mean. I haven't owned an auto for over 20 years now, so I wasn't sure of the procedure regarding oil/filter changes.

The fluid in my Stag is still cherry red and the box changes fine but I just thought a fluid change might be best practice, but not sure
            Last edited by Jabba; 28th November 2019, 20:43.

Comment

Typically we would say oil (& filter if possible) between 40 & 75k, depending on how hard the vehicle is driven. There are exceptions of course. With cars such as our Stags miles generally are not applicable, with many doing only a few thousand a year, so its down to time really. Assuming all good & no issues I would say every 4 to five years. A proper transmission service would also include the two bands (not applicable on the ZF) being adjusted as well .
              Auto transmission rebuilding since 1979 - for my sins!

Comment

Originally posted by Alacrity View Post
                Typically we would say oil (& filter if possible) between 40 & 75k, depending on how hard the vehicle is driven. There are exceptions of course. With cars such as our Stags miles generally are not applicable, with many doing only a few thousand a year, so its down to time really. Assuming all good & no issues I would say every 4 to five years. A proper transmission service would also include the two bands (not applicable on the ZF) being adjusted as well .
                Thanks for the info.
                White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
                So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Many thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                  X