Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a brand New (ish) TowBar..Instruction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a brand New (ish) TowBar..Instruction?

Wondered if anybody has a copy of instructions for the fitting of a Stag TowBar The towbar is as new to be honest I doubt its ever been fitted, but without instructions any help much appreciated

You need to take the rear bumper off so you can mount the cross bar of the towing bracket on the bolts that hold the bumper in place then bolt the central mounting bracket that goes under the floor by drilling the floor and bolting through.
    Electrics are a different matter, I can't help on that without tracing all the wires back inside the boot so it may be easier to get some fitting instructions for a standard towing socket - the wiring will be universal for each pin.

This might help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wiri...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Hope that helps....

Cheers

Mike
    Mike

Comment

unless you intend to tow a caravan you will only need a 7 pin socket and about 2m of 7 core cable, wire as mike has given the link, scotch locks are a popular way of linking towbar electrics.

Comment

Attached Files
        Mike.
        74 Stag (Best Modified 2007), 02 Maserati 4200, 17 BMW M140i, 00 Mitsubishi Pinin

Comment

No disrespect to Phil S but don't use scotch locks unless you want problems later on

Comment

I'm an old Triumph Bonneville owner so hopefully I've had enough practise by now of LUCAS electrics! Thanks for all the advice so far though very helpful

Comment

Incidentally, is it a good idea to beef up the rear springs having 25kg of cast iron hanging off the back

Comment

Originally posted by silverfox View Post
                No disrespect to Phil S but don't use scotch locks unless you want problems later on
                Scotchlocks, just like crimped terminals, come in various quality. If you buy the genuine ones, or decent quality crimps, and fit them with care they are fine and will last indefinitely. Unfortunately there are plenty of cheap copies available on various online shopping sites (and indeed well known car accessory shops) which are useless and give the good ones a bad name.

You can buy gel-filled connectors which are suitable for burying underground. These work in the same way as Scotchlocks and are used by telecoms companies. I’ve used hundreds of them on 24v golf course irrigation systems.
                Dave
                1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Crimped connections are much better than scotch locks which only rely on the thickness of the "blade" for connectivity. The blade actually cuts into the core of the cable which is not a good idea. Soldering is a better idea and then insulate with heat shrink insulation.

Comment

Working...
                  X