Mystery gadget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery gadget

Hi - please can anybody tell me what this is? I have tried to figure it out from the wiring but like many of the "improvements" to this car, it doesn't appear to have been installed professionally. Thanks.

Relay box.jpeg

Fuel pump cut off or some form of engine kill switch? Does the car run when you flick it on?

Comment

what is the writing on it? how many wires?

Comment

Thanks for responding guys - writing on it is "Full Auto Relay" with switch positions being "Auto" and "Manual" (currently switched to Auto). I have now stripped the car to the point where I won't be able to start it, so cannot determine if flicking the switch would affect it. There are 4 wires - in the morning I will try and figure out where they are going and post again.

Comment

Is it a switch for an electric fan?
          1976 TV8 Manual O/D in pimento red
          1986 BMW R80RT

Comment

What Gerd said ^^^
            Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

There has been an electric fan, which I have now removed, along with its wiring, during stripping the car. This thing doesn't appear to have been involved with that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo1805NZ View Post
                Thanks for responding guys - writing on it is "Full Auto Relay" with switch positions being "Auto" and "Manual" (currently switched to Auto). I have now stripped the car to the point where I won't be able to start it, so cannot determine if flicking the switch would affect it. There are 4 wires - in the morning I will try and figure out where they are going and post again.
                There are 4 x wires coming from this - a black one which is connected to ground, a white one which goes through the bulkhead and is connected to one side of the coil, a red one which is connected to the small relay at the right of the pic (don't know what this relay is?), and a blue one which is hanging in the breeze (don't believe that I have disconnected this from anything, so must have been like that when I got the car). It looks like it will be non-essential to the car's running when it gets put back together - wondered if anybody may recognise it from a previous installation?

Comment

Definately non-standard and hard to figure what it's function was, so agree - ditch it. I see it has a purple wire to the relay - purple is usually a fused feed from the battery (internal lights, cigarette lighter, horn etc) so either needs to be removed or insulated well.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo1805NZ View Post

There are 4 x wires coming from this - a black one which is connected to ground, a white one which goes through the bulkhead and is connected to one side of the coil, a red one which is connected to the small relay at the right of the pic (don't know what this relay is?), and a blue one which is hanging in the breeze (don't believe that I have disconnected this from anything, so must have been like that when I got the car). It looks like it will be non-essential to the car's running when it gets put back together - wondered if anybody may recognise it from a previous installation?
                    Could it be a switch which was used as a kind of manual immobilizer (because it's connected to the coil)?
                    1976 TV8 Manual O/D in pimento red
                    1986 BMW R80RT

Comment

I think you have may have yourself an ignition booster switch there.
                      "Ignition on and switch on", then you have 12v on what is normally a 6v coil.(This is a function usually performed only during operation of the starter motor).
                      "Ignition on and switch off", then you should have the usual 6v feed to the coil, except when the starter is activated, when 12v should be supplied.
                      I am not sure why you would need a booster switch, unless you have a 12v coil fitted or a problem with the standard ignition wiring.
                      If you do have a problem with the standard ignition wiring and this is the only live supply for the coil, then this switch will also act as a security device by isolating the ignition supply.
                      I would remove it and debug the standard wiring when you can.
                      If you have the standard 6v coil then
                      1. With the ignition on you should have 6v at the coil.
                      2. With the starter activated you should have 12v at the coil.

Comment

Originally posted by DZP View Post
                        I think you have may have yourself an ignition booster switch there.
                        "Ignition on and switch on", then you have 12v on what is normally a 6v coil.(This is a function usually performed only during operation of the starter motor).
                        "Ignition on and switch off", then you should have the usual 6v feed to the coil, except when the starter is activated, when 12v should be supplied.
                        I am not sure why you would need a booster switch, unless you have a 12v coil fitted or a problem with the standard ignition wiring.
                        If you do have a problem with the standard ignition wiring and this is the only live supply for the coil, then this switch will also act as a security device by isolating the ignition supply.
                        I would remove it and debug the standard wiring when you can.
                        If you have the standard 6v coil then
                        1. With the ignition on you should have 6v at the coil.
                        2. With the starter activated you should have 12v at the coil.
                        I wondered about that. It does look (on my computer anyway) as if the white wire is connected to the pink/white ballast resistor wire..........

41F32005-5C15-4D3C-8931-EA8C205AA4CD_1_201_a.jpeg
                        Dave
                        1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Thanks guys - yes, my thoughts are that when it comes to putting the car back together I'll leave stuff like this off. Then if it looks like it would be worth having I will look into re-installing it, and try to do a tidier job!

Dave

Comment

Intriguing to say the least.Dave
                            Questions.... The extra relay.... Assuming the red wire coming to the switch is an ignition controlled live feed when that relay is operated, what else is it doing? The purple wire goes....where.
                            If the white wire from the switch does feed the ballast resistor line to the coil......why the need for such a complex set-up? What other connections are there to the coil?
                            If the continuation from the white wire to the coil is not a resistance wire, then again why such a complex setup. Or is it a trigger for a relay?
                            What of the switch itself. is it simply a dual position switch or is there some kind of relay built into it?
                            The location. Well up into the passenger footwell, under the metal cover for the Component Mounting Plate and below the parcel shelf. out of drivers reach. Its not something you would just flick on. Some kind of security device, But why have a telltale light on it to advertise it.
                            The blue 'hanging' wire seems to be quite long, wherever it went to. Also in the picture the red wire beside it looks very much like more of the red wire going to the switch....Do you know what it does?

Lastly what devices might have been fitted 'back in the day'. I can't think beyond a security device, radio possibly with a remote CD player, a CB radio, air-horns. Given its location I don't think it would be for a fan.

I'd love to get stuck into this one Dave. Perhaps when you do put the car back together you will revisit this thread and let us know the outcome.
                            Brian

Brian

Comment

But wait, there's more... removed the mystery gadget to reveal, on its reverse side, what appears to be an adjustment pot. and the name Taiwan Lucky Seven Co. Ltd; also a label fell out, which must have been stuck on the side that was fixed. The label advises how to connect the wires, though isn't clarifying the thing's purpose for me. As installed in the car, the white wire went to the -ve side of the ignition coil, the black to ground, and the red (presumably for power) to a tag on a relay above it. The blue one wasn't connected to anything.

Mystery gadget underside.JPG

Comment

Working...
                              X