Today I have been mostly Alternator Fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I have been mostly Alternator Fitting

I put a new (Chinese) alternator onto my car about 12 months into my ownership, the original Lucas 45amp was beginning to struggle a little, I do use the car every day all year round, the Chinese Alternator was in the box of "Valuable Spares" it provided an improvement but not spellblinding, t'other day I noticed on the school run that with heater and lights on I was showing under 12v...hmmm...I refitted the original Lucas that I had carefully stored ...ahem...under the bench. And it was better, however, after using a Compressor (cigar lighter powered) to onflate a low tyre with the engine running and watching the Voltmeter drop to 10v, I decided on a replacement. From Oldhams I purchased a PSH plus line 65amp jobbie made in Holland, it arrived in a day for 73.99 delivered and looks very well made and fitted easily. The volt meter no longer drops even a bit from 14v or so with lights and heater now, so far its fair to say quite pleased with the unit, always surprises me how long it takes to remove and replace items like the Alternator the first time that you have a go and how speedy the same job is after a couple of goes at it!. Obviously, I have no connection to the Company in question just thought it might be helpful to mention good service and an apparently (so far) good product

Jessie's mechanical work?

Comment

I think my favorite was: " Today, I have mostly been having a Coil Fitted"
      Then he limped away back to Camera, with very bandy legs
      I do miss The Fast Show

Comment

Being repeated on sky. Scorchio! Just don't get me started on python

Comment

Originally posted by steve.n View Post
          Being repeated on sky. Scorchio! Just don't get me started on python
          Or The Young Ones

Comment

How do you get the alternator off a Stag automatic? I had a look and couldn't see how it would go past the cooler or can you wriggle it out from the top ? John

Comment

I thought that after looking at the work shop manual,honestly 45min the first time then 30mins to remove from the top. Take battery leads off, Earth first remove battery, undo 3 bolts at to of the Power steering pump, lower one is the adjuster, slacken , remove belt move pump to behind top suspension mount, leave all pipes alone, one alternator bolt is then right in front of you, long bolt , I put a ring on the nut and undid the bolt if you catch my drift, 2 more bolts lower one is adjuster,you might j...u...s...t.. find it easier to access the lower one from beneath, but I managed. Alternator is now loose and is removed Pulley first and obviously goes back wiring first, the fiddliest bit is removing the wiring block from the back it can get tight, 1/2", 9/16" and 5/8" spanners are reqd, I think I only needed 5/8 cos somebody had put a rogue bolt in 13mm 14mm 15mm will also do the trick, and a thin bar to put between alternator and mounting to set the tension when refitting.really not a difficult job from the top, mine is also an Auto

Comment

Originally posted by bonnietiler750 View Post
                I thought that after looking at the work shop manual,honestly 45min the first time then 30mins to remove from the top. Take battery leads off, Earth first remove battery, undo 3 bolts at to of the Power steering pump, lower one is the adjuster, slacken , remove belt move pump to behind top suspension mount, leave all pipes alone, one alternator bolt is then right in front of you, long bolt , I put a ring on the nut and undid the bolt if you catch my drift, 2 more bolts lower one is adjuster,you might j...u...s...t.. find it easier to access the lower one from beneath, but I managed. Alternator is now loose and is removed Pulley first and obviously goes back wiring first, the fiddliest bit is removing the wiring block from the back it can get tight, 1/2", 9/16" and 5/8" spanners are reqd, I think I only needed 5/8 cos somebody had put a rogue bolt in 13mm 14mm 15mm will also do the trick, and a thin bar to put between alternator and mounting to set the tension when refitting.really not a difficult job from the top, mine is also an Auto
                Thanks for that. I guessed that you need to move the power steering pump out of the way but hadn't thought of taking the battery off as well. Does it give much more room for this job? John

Comment

When you are fiddling with the Alternator and turning it on end in order to remove it just gives you a little more elbow room, it only takes a couple of minutes and probably saves a little more than that in time

Comment

More power to the elbow sounds good. Need all the help I can get. Thanks again for the advice. John

Comment

Working...
                    X