Breakthrough on stripping undercoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakthrough on stripping undercoat

OK, best rough method is heat gun and scraper, but getting the residue off was being a problem. Paint thinner, lacquer thinner sort of work, but highly volatile. Don't care for using gas as a solvent.

PB Blaster! Works like a charm. Does not evaporate too fast so it can break it done. Wipes off. Then you have to just wipe it down with thinner before painting. HUGE advance. Great now I am down to just one inner fender!

Not the nices of jobs to do,but i use a wire brush on a angle grinder,go over it once to get the worst of,then change the wheel go over it again with new wire brush,but wear gloves your need them

Dave
    73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

For me the wire brush was impossible, it throws it everywhere and makes a hell of a mess. Eventually I used one of those oscillating tools with a little heat from a heat gun, peels off a treat.

Terry
      Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by trunt View Post
        For me the wire brush was impossible, it throws it everywhere and makes a hell of a mess. Eventually I used one of those oscillating tools with a little heat from a heat gun, peels off a treat.

Terry
        Yes i know it makes a mess,like i said not the best job to do,but its quicker,the trouble i found with heat gun ,it melts bits that land on your hand it takes you a miniute to relize your being burnt and then you cant get out from under the car quick enough oh the joys of a Stag
        73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

I guess a wire brush works on some of the older tar, but not on softer rubberized undercoat. Anyway, my post is for getting the residue off. Heavy stuff I use a heat gun and putty knife. The only method that worked for me. Don't have to heat enough to melt. Just soften a bit. Heat about a square foot and let it soak in so the metal is warm. Thin gloves help. I tried a scaler, power chisel, and an oscillator. None were any help. Taller jack stands were a big help ( 6 ton type)

Comment

Have the prices come down on the lasers yet
            Yellow Rules OK

Comment

Working...
            X