Placing an Electric waterpump EWP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Placing an Electric waterpump EWP

I plan to provide my Stag with an electric water pump from Davies Craig. I read somewhere in this forum that the alternator has been moved to the LH side so that the EWP can be mounted on the right in the lower hose from the radiator. Is this correct?
    Are there other ways such as mounting the EWP on the left and a longer hose from right to left?
    If not: are there brackets for both EWP and alternator?
    Can someone post photo's of te work or the result?
    I have a Stag with automatic gearbox so the cooling takes extra space where you need it for a EWP.

Harrie

Hi Harrie,

There are complete conversion kits available or you can just buy the bits you need.

One such kit can be seen here:
    https://www.ejward.co.uk/new-parts/e...ler-clone.html
    others are available.

Simon

Comment

I have my EWP hanging from a bracket on the LH head and use a short 90 degree hose to connect to the water pump cover, then a long hose to the rad with the alternator in its original position.

Don't have any clear photos but I might see if I can take something of use.
      Neil
      TV8, efi, fast road cams and home built manifolds. 246bhp 220lbft torque

Comment

Originally posted by flying farmer View Post
        I have my EWP hanging from a bracket on the LH head and use a short 90 degree hose to connect to the water pump cover, then a long hose to the rad with the alternator in its original position.

Don't have any clear photos but I might see if I can take something of use.
        It obviously is working for you Neil but its not a location I would choose. Sounds like it is even higher than the original pump which means any loss of coolant will have the pump spinning in air. In my opinion lower is better and the original location of the Alternator is ideal, that's where I put the EWP on my white Stag.

Comment

I was offered a Davies Craig 8000 EWP controller new for 80 on Ebay.

There's other EWP available, I have a Meziere pump on my Stag. There're better than the Davies Craig pumps and flow 55 GPM. These pumps can be fixed, welded, directly to the radiator.

Comment

Check this out from Davis Craig

https://daviescraig.com.au/media/960...12-07-2011.pdf

Lots of good info here and its placing the pump low down on the left, so no need to relocate alternator. This is what I plan to do as I may recommission the A/C as well so cannot do that.

terry
            Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

The info from James Ostergaard, found on de site EJWard (thanks to Terry and Neil) shows the EWP on the left and lets the alternator in place. But EJWard also sells a bracket to move your alternator to the left so you can place the EWP to the right. But alan thinks different. I'm still confused.

Harrie

Comment

Originally posted by Harrie View Post
                The info from James Ostergaard, found on de site EJWard (thanks to Terry and Neil) shows the EWP on the left and lets the alternator in place. But EJWard also sells a bracket to move your alternator to the left so you can place the EWP to the right. But alan thinks different. I'm still confused.

Harrie
                There is no right or wrong place. I had the factory aircon on my Stag but took it off, the old York compressor filled most of the available space on the left side and asTerry wants to put the original aircon back this rules out the left side for both alternator and EWP. It also depends on whether you have tubular manifolds fitted and which type as some tubulars extend forward on the RHS into the space occupied by the original alternator.
                Wherever you decide to put it make sure you have the heater circuit feeding back into the water circuit before the pump, ie on the suck side, as it is easy to plumb something up and have no draw thru the heater.
                Of course for complete simplicity you should consider Stagdad's External Mechanical water pump mod that replaces the original pump with a pump from a Ford Essex engine, no chance of an electrical failure in either the pump, controller or wiring, if the belt is turning its pumping, its a choice between slightly better efficiency (EWP) against better reliability (Mech Pump). I have fitted and driven both types on different Stags, both work well but I know which gives me the most peace of mind.

- Alan

Comment

Just found a picture from my Pushing the limits thread
                  https://www.socforum.com/forum/forum...imits-part-two
                  This shows the engine that was going in my TR, but the one on my MK1 stag is in the same place

Post no 13
                  Neil
                  Neil
                  TV8, efi, fast road cams and home built manifolds. 246bhp 220lbft torque

Comment

I’m not actually planning the huge York Compressor, I was going to use a sanden type, much smaller and hopefully will leave a bit more wriggle room, time will tell!

terry
                    Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X