Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you who have retrofitted your Mk1 alternator for a Mk2 Advice needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you who have retrofitted your Mk1 alternator for a Mk2 Advice needed

Because the previous owner messed around with the alternator relay 4TR Relay and 16RA control unit on a MK1 Stag Iíve decided to go with a Mk2 alternator set up. The original wiring was hacked a bit.
    I have sourced an original Lucas Mk2 alternator and bracket.

I have stripped out the wiring and removed the wiring from control unit to relay. Iím now left with a few wires. So the question is.
    My Mk1 has 1 very think wire maybe 10- or 8-gauge brown wire which goes between the power bolt on the bulkhead and alternator. With the Mk2 set up there, are 2, 12 gauge brown wires between alternator and wiring loom. What Iíve been told is that inside the Mk2 alternator, these two points are connected. So, do I make up 2 12-gauge wires or just connect the 10 / 8 gauge thick wire to one of the terminals in the alternator and leave it at that? (this wire seems to be in good health) At this point Iím not worried about the other wires to the alternator. I think I have those under control.

Regards, Sujit

Depends on the current output, is it a great deal more? Either way I would retain the original and just add a second wire for extra capacity. They dont need to be the same size.

terry
    Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

if it's an original mk2 alternator the output would be 45A a pair of wires would allow you to upgrade to a higher output unit at a later date, so why not do it now. you then just need to add the warning light wire to the new piece of loom you are making up.
      if you dont have a new plug they are available with the terminals from most suppliers for a couple of pounds

Comment

Mine's been running for 20+ years on the single wire to one terminal. I used the other terminal for the caravan feeds.
        '72 Manual O/d Saffron Yellow

Comment

Thx all. I think I will do as Terrry says. I'll add a second wire as the original is in good health. Even the crimps are held on well to this original wire. I did buy a connector but don't think I will use it.
          Sujit

Comment

I believe both are 45A, so wire upgrade would not be needed. Difference is internal vs external regulator. I sure would have switched to a modern alternator. Bosch or CS series. which will require wire upgrades. I'll figure that out as I move forward. THeir is also the 60A Lucas out of a Jag. Again, an upgrade to the wire would be wise. Personally, I do not like using a fast-on connector for high current. Very bad design for reliability. The CS series uses a stud for a ring lug. CS130s are popular, but even the small 80A is overkill. Might see how a CS122 fits.

The other reason I prefer the modern alternators is GM found out the old regulators were what was killing ECUs. The CS series was designed not to "glitch" Not an issue if you run points, but with any electronics, a possible source of "electrical overstress" the #1 reason for electronic failures. I am a bit touchy on this subject due to 10 years in a failure analysis lab. I look at everything and think, "how can it fail".

Comment

Working...
            X