Replacing indicator stalk

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing indicator stalk

Sounds simple, but the cable for mine is routed inside the lower steering column metal casing. I've undone the screws but the steering column adj bracket appears to block any chance of removal to get old cable out and reroute new one - really don't want to mess with the multi plugs!!
    Any ideas?
    I did think of unbolting the steering column but surely that's not necessary - albeit if battery removal is anything to go by who knows!?
    Ian
    1973 Stag 1983 Porsche 944 2006 BMW R1200GS
    2008 Skoda Octavia VRS plus bicycles

From a long ago memory....

You will need to remove the tilting lock. Its not hard to do, just pain in the arse, there is a pin you need to remove for the complete removal, then undo the 4 screws holding the plate on the bottom of the column to access the cables. Its not really hard to do.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005311

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005310
    Last edited by malc4d; 9th September 2019, 14:07.

Comment

I removed the multi plug, couple of photos and a quick drawing, only about a 15 min job then

Comment

Originally posted by Phil S View Post
        I removed the multi plug, couple of photos and a quick drawing, only about a 15 min job then
        Likewise. It's a bit scary when you start but it's actually not that difficult.

Use a thin screwdriver or pointed probe to depress each of the the brass connector's securing tab and then remove them from the connector block.

NB - if you're swapping for LHD units the wires are in a different order and won't work if you don't get them sorted properly - not sure if it was the indicator or wiper switch that was the problem (or both)

Good luck, Paul
        1973 Mk 1.5, TV8 MOD, Sapphire blue, Kenlowe, header tank, elctronic distributor

Comment

Working...
        X