Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First reliability issue Fuel related Inertia Switch?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First reliability issue Fuel related Inertia Switch?

Taking 3 Granddaughters to school this AM as I do most days and the car grinds to a halt...open bonnet, I have excellent spark and zero smell of fuel , fiddle around blocking all the traffic on the busy school run roads, nothing, go to fuel pump , which is quite recent..nothing, open petrol cap, in event of vent pipe blockage, nothing, walk girls to school and abandon Stag bonnet up in bus layby, on my return I fiddle with Inertia switch and the car starts then stops after 100 yds, then I REALLY fiddle with Inertia switch and the car is back to normal, can these switches just start to fail and randomly cut out or is my fuel fix unlikely to be related to the switch, I run a Triumph T140 Bonneville and am aware that a fix can sometimes be entirely coincidental to the actions taken.

This has been discussed many times (search facility?). The contacts inside can corrode if the switch hasn't been activated for many years. Twisting the reset button a few times can clean the contacts up, but for a more permanent fix, take it apart and clean it properly. 15-minute job.

http://www.grampianstags.net/inertia.htm
    Dave
    1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Yes, utilised the search facility , my point was that if the car starts and runs perfectly, dand I don't go over any bumps or kerbs and suddenly the car cuts out, is this typical of the inertia switch, I understand that it's a simple switch but am confused to its ability to randomly engage.

Comment

Just a case of "the straw that broke the camel's back". Had similar myself. Got to bear in mind that in the 70's, design life was around 10 - 15 years, so we're now x3 - x4 that.

Jonno

Comment

Fair point I shall remove and clean I shall also try to source a replacement it really does resemble one I removed from a Jaguar back in the day are they one and the same?

Comment

Originally posted by bonnietiler750 View Post
            Fair point I shall remove and clean I shall also try to source a replacement it really does resemble one I removed from a Jaguar back in the day are they one and the same?
            Yes, they were fitted to the XJS and some Rovers of the period.
            Dave
            1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

P1070606.JPG As said a good clean will sort it
              "The UK,s Most Easterly Stag" Quad Exhaust- ZF 4 Speed BOX

Comment

I did try the clean but it failed again, so I have sourced one of these NOS from the US, seems to have worked nicely!

Comment

If the NOS ones are expensive, I have put in standard Ford ones into a couple of cars. Not sure there is a difference between any of them.

Comment

Wharfgarage on EBay.co.uk has several for sale (the Jaguar ones are the same as the Stag one)
                    Ross. Perth WA.
                    1976 TV8 BW65 Tahiti Blue

Comment

Just out of curiosity can't the switch be bypassed or even removed completely? I used to have a 2.5 PI but can't remember whether that had an inertia switch or not. I certainly never had any problems with the engine cutting out

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by bonnietiler750 View Post
                        I did try the clean but it failed again, so I have sourced one of these NOS from the US, seems to have worked nicely!
                        Send me the old one and Iíll keep it as a spare. Iíve never had one fail in over 100,000 miles, so probably good to have a spare.......
                        Last edited by DJT; Today, 14:05.
                        Dave

Comment

Yes, that could be the case with mine, it has just crested 100k, although I have only managed 15k in the last 2.5 years, if this NOS one lasts the same till see me out..it only cost £15

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie6 View Post
                            Just out of curiosity can't the switch be bypassed or even removed completely? I used to have a 2.5 PI but can't remember whether that had an inertia switch or not. I certainly never had any problems with the engine cutting out

Richard
                            Yes, it can be bypassed but do realise that its function (as on many other cars) is to limit the amount of fuel pumped following an accident, thus limiting the fire damage and risks to driver & passengers. If any fire were to cause additional damage to other persons or property, you could find yourself in trouble for defeating a standard safety device and indeed, your insurance company wouldn't be happy, possibly walking away from a claim.

Not recommended.

Jonno

Comment

Working...
                            X