Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What A good stag engine worth ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What A good stag engine worth ?

    Couple of weeks ago I viewed a TVR powered stag SAXPLAYER stag I think, unfortunately the bodywork was too far gone but the power and sound was brilliant so i have decided to do the 3.9 injection to my car. What is my engine and box worth ?? Rebuilt in 2010 all pics and receipts covered around 6000 miles

    IMG_0735.JPG

    #2
    Looks interesting but a few more details may help you get a sale.

    What gearbox is it fitted with ? BW 3 speed, Stag manual gearbox, BMW 4 speed auto etc, makes a difference to how people perceive it.
    You say the engine was rebuilt in 2010, who did the rebuild ? What spec was the engine built to ? Pistons make, size etc Without demeaning any home engine build and not knowing your own experience, if you rebuilt it yourself you may find possible purchasers not as keen as if one of the established experts like Russ or other professional engine restorers familiar with the Stag had done it. As I say not calling yourself if rebuilt by you but that's how people may view it. All these details may give a good response and give you a quick result and sale.

    Micky

    Comment


      #3
      Triumph stag manual gearbox with overdrive, Engine Rebuilt by myself. crank and unleaded heads and new pistons completed by cleasby crank shafts in county durham timing chains changed 2 month ago all receipts available and a opportunity to here the car running its still in the car in no hurry only looking for advice

      Simon

      Comment


        #4
        Completely unrelated to the engine question but is your brake master cylinder installed at an angle... It looks to be angled over to the right rather than level
        1976 Triumph V8 Manual/OD in BRG

        Comment


          #5
          tricky one for the buyer

          I built my engine, twice! and loved every minute of it... ish

          when you rebuilt, and not questioning skills, what attention did you put into crank end float, jackshaft bearings, was the crank hardened again? what size shells on the big end/mains. What were the cylinders bored out to, what state were the heads, how many more skims in em?

          Part supply quality as we know can be ****! my second rebuild was because the hardened crank. wasnt! we all know about water pumps

          Even some suppliers struggled to get engine reconditioned properly! which then caused all manner of issues down the line.

          Chances are that even a poorly built engine will last a couple of years with owners struggling to do a couple of thousand miles a year and this is the where the whole caveat emptor thing deters buyers of anything with unknown provenance. or without any guarantees. they need to take that leap of faith.

          Receipts and loads of photographic evidence all help as does the sweet running engine still in the car

          Last "tidy" engine and box that I recall going through ebay was £1500 which shouldn't even cover the cost of parts and engineering that go into the rebuild.

          If it was properly rebuilt then someone got a bargain!

          btw never yet heard a Rover V8 that sounds better than a Stag v8

          RV8 vs TV8, and I am lucky to run both and love both

          Power - yes - even basic 3.9 puts out 190bhp and more than enough torques, but that was before the black death, stretched chain, worn cams and slipped liners all joined the party. There is tons of "off the shelf" power to be bought though

          Reliability - IMHO questionable (see slipped liners) though the RV8 does take some serious punishment before death. they happily run on 6 cylinders and with stretched chains and lobes worn flat on the cam, even with the oil pressure light glowing merrily at idle they still carry on. My RV8 in the Range Rover has 165k on it, I just replaced the chain and gears and it really does need a cam and followers but where do I stop? It still goes and economy has barely changed over the last 120k miles of ownership so I am not going to rebuild it. I am well aware though that a few horses have escaped the paddock.

          cheaper - I personally don't think so, when you factor in the suspension mods and engine build I reckon that the TV8 "no holds barred" build is cheaper

          resale - if you plan to be buried in your stag then no issues, if you want to sell it then it is possible that a TV8 car is worth slightly more and may be easier to sell tin foil hat on

          Bar chat - when the old bore wanders up and asks if it "has the original engine because they all overheat donchano" and you respond "no". The discussion is killed stone flippin dead, he wanders off and that is it

          verdict - borrow a TVR and save yourself a world of pain and expense

          Or sell your stag for mucho casho before the summer... ha have you looked outside! and buy an already sorted RV8 Stag
          Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

          Comment


            #6
            Just found a "melted" engine on ebay £1500

            so maybe on that basis yours is worth way more

            Was it anyones on here?

            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-ST.../361981307208?
            Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by richardthestag View Post
              tricky one for the buyer

              I built my engine, twice! and loved every minute of it... ish

              when you rebuilt, and not questioning skills, what attention did you put into crank end float, jackshaft bearings, was the crank hardened again? what size shells on the big end/mains. What were the cylinders bored out to, what state were the heads, how many more skims in em?

              Part supply quality as we know can be ****! my second rebuild was because the hardened crank. wasnt! we all know about water pumps

              Even some suppliers struggled to get engine reconditioned properly! which then caused all manner of issues down the line.

              Chances are that even a poorly built engine will last a couple of years with owners struggling to do a couple of thousand miles a year and this is the where the whole caveat emptor thing deters buyers of anything with unknown provenance. or without any guarantees. they need to take that leap of faith.

              Receipts and loads of photographic evidence all help as does the sweet running engine still in the car

              Last "tidy" engine and box that I recall going through ebay was £1500 which shouldn't even cover the cost of parts and engineering that go into the rebuild.

              If it was properly rebuilt then someone got a bargain!

              btw never yet heard a Rover V8 that sounds better than a Stag v8

              RV8 vs TV8, and I am lucky to run both and love both

              Power - yes - even basic 3.9 puts out 190bhp and more than enough torques, but that was before the black death, stretched chain, worn cams and slipped liners all joined the party. There is tons of "off the shelf" power to be bought though

              Reliability - IMHO questionable (see slipped liners) though the RV8 does take some serious punishment before death. they happily run on 6 cylinders and with stretched chains and lobes worn flat on the cam, even with the oil pressure light glowing merrily at idle they still carry on. My RV8 in the Range Rover has 165k on it, I just replaced the chain and gears and it really does need a cam and followers but where do I stop? It still goes and economy has barely changed over the last 120k miles of ownership so I am not going to rebuild it. I am well aware though that a few horses have escaped the paddock.

              cheaper - I personally don't think so, when you factor in the suspension mods and engine build I reckon that the TV8 "no holds barred" build is cheaper

              resale - if you plan to be buried in your stag then no issues, if you want to sell it then it is possible that a TV8 car is worth slightly more and may be easier to sell tin foil hat on

              Bar chat - when the old bore wanders up and asks if it "has the original engine because they all overheat donchano" and you respond "no". The discussion is killed stone flippin dead, he wanders off and that is it

              verdict - borrow a TVR and save yourself a world of pain and expense

              Or sell your stag for mucho casho before the summer... ha have you looked outside! and buy an already sorted RV8 Stag
              some sound advice there Thanks for the input. if its only worth £1500 i will just keep it in the garage when i do the conversion.

              Comment


                #8
                I would keep it in a runable condition when you are looking to sell it so the perspective purchaser can see it in action then take a sizeable deposit before removing it from the car.
                Carbs suck.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I was thinking that stag parts were in some way more desirable if they were already melted, rather than just run-in, or as new, or N.O.S.
                  But the melted stag parts have been on ebay for a while now, so perhaps not



                  Originally posted by richardthestag View Post
                  Just found a "melted" engine on ebay £1500

                  so maybe on that basis yours is worth way more

                  Was it anyones on here?

                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-ST.../361981307208?
                  There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.
                  2.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by samp5679 View Post
                    some sound advice there Thanks for the input. if its only worth £1500 i will just keep it in the garage when i do the conversion.
                    Bugger, I was going to offer you £250 to get it out of your way

                    Call me an opportunist? Some others use a phrase that rhymes with 'cheeky stunt'!
                    1973 Stag 1983 Alfa GTV6
                    ​​​​​​2006 BMW R1200GS 2013 Audi A4 Avant Quattro

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by CV35Ian View Post
                      Bugger, I was going to offer you £250 to get it out of your way

                      Call me an opportunist? Some others use a phrase that rhymes with 'cheeky stunt'!
                      1 tubular manifold cost more than that lol

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Hi Simon
                        Have sent you a PM. My Stag specialist has just told me the solution to a misfire is sadly a rebuild. 2 cylinders are showing significantly lower compression than the other 6. It may be just valve issues but if going to this trouble I might as well make sure the bottom end is checked over as well etc etc!
                        Nigel

                        Comment

                        canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                        pinbahis pinbahis dizitune.com
                        ankara escort
                        Working...
                        X