Fuel pump choices, advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everybody,

If you install a "Filterking" (http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-...ters-carb.html), you have "killed two birds with one stone", as it works as a pressure regulator and as a fuel filter.
    Best wishes,
    Dieter.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Kelley View Post
      Hi Ian
      Can I ask if you fitted the regulator because you were having needle valve issues due to some characteristic of the LD pump? Or was it a separate unrelated problem/ Or indeed just a precaution? I'm just trying to weigh up whether I actually need to do this as well. On a related point, is it also wise to replace the inertia switch whilst changing the pump? I would assume it would work the same with a new but different pump, but I'm also wondering about 40 year old inter-connected parts. Many thanks
      Paul
      I fitted it as I was having needle valve problems as this pump delivers too high a pressure for the strombergs.

H

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Kelley View Post
        Hi Ian
        Can I ask if you fitted the regulator because you were having needle valve issues due to some characteristic of the LD pump? Or was it a separate unrelated problem/ Or indeed just a precaution? I'm just trying to weigh up whether I actually need to do this as well. On a related point, is it also wise to replace the inertia switch whilst changing the pump? I would assume it would work the same with a new but different pump, but I'm also wondering about 40 year old inter-connected parts. Many thanks
        Paul

I fitted it purely as a precaution Paul having replaced the needle valves 3 times. Been OK so far The inertia switch should come apart and can be cleaned up. it only causes problems because the contacts corrode over time and cause resistance. the electronic pumps are not happy unless they get the voltage they were designed for.

To make sure you don't have a wiring/connection problem you could run a temporary cable direct from the battery to the pump and also give it a second good earth.

Ian.
        Wise men ignore the advice of fools, but fools ignore the advice of wise men sigpic

Comment

I did the same as Dieter and fitted a Filter King too but I also re-built my original SU pump - dead easy to do and works perfectly.
          Mike

Comment

Thanks Ian for post 18 above and others for extra contributions. Have cleaned up inertia switch and no reason to suspect anything with it, so will fit LD pump alone and keep an eye on needle valves and add regulator if needs be. Or maybe just do it properly first time. Mmmmm think I will!
            Paul
            Mk 2 1975 TV8 Mimosa

Comment

Working...
            X