Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Idling Speed

Hi,

as mentioned in my other thread, I've to correct the idling speed. But looking in the different ROMs is showing different idling speeds:

ROM.jpg

and in the German ROM:

GermanROM.jpg

So, what is the correct idling speed for my 76' MK2?

Regards
    Gerd
    1976 TV8 Manual O/D in pimento red
    1986 BMW R80RT

I prefer to use the lowest idle speed that works. Too low and it can stall, especially if you have an auto. Too high wastes fuel, and if auto, makes the car jump fowards when engaging drive. Mines a manual and will idle at 450 but I use about 550.

Another point is that if testing for emissions levels, a higher idle speed is sometimes used to get you through a test if you are marginal.

Comment

My car which is an auto has adopted the German idling speed of 650 out of gear which drops to around 550 in.

Comment

Originally posted by Staggard View Post
        My car which is an auto has adopted the German idling speed of 650 out of gear which drops to around 550 in.

^+1
        Dave
        1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

mine is 750, dropping to 650 in D

Comment

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will adjust it to 650 - 700 and will see, how smooth it will run.

Gerd
            1986 BMW R80RT

Comment

If it won't run smoothly at those revs, apart from the usual carb setting culprits, check your crankcase breather system has no leaks (the tickover should stumble/stop when you take the oil filler cap off if it is working properly).
              Header tanks - you can't beat a bit of bling.

Comment

The pages from the ROM seem to relate to Mk1 stags only as later Mk2 UK and European Stags had a higher compression ratio. What would the recommended idling speed be for these later engines? I have searched but can find no Triumph published recommendation.

H

Comment

image.jpgPublished on the car itself

Comment

Originally posted by kryten View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]37358[/ATTACH]Published on the car itself
                    Thanks Good point should have gone out in the garage! However no-one else has referred to this label. Whilst it does not answer the OP's discrepancy between the German and UK ROM I assume it is more definitive. What does Badenstags label say?

H
                    Last edited by HersnotHis; 11th May 2016, 19:01.

Comment

Originally posted by HersnotHis View Post
                      Thanks Good point should have gone out in the garage! However no-one else has referred to this label. Whilst it does not answer the OP's discrepancy between the German and UK ROM I assume it is more definitive. What does Badenstags label say?

H
                      Cant read it its in German

Comment

Originally posted by HersnotHis View Post

H
                        I can't find this label on my car (assuming it should be under the bonnet). That's why I've referred to the ROMs.

Gerd
                        1986 BMW R80RT

Comment

Working...
                        X