No announcement yet.

Starting Problems - Any Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought we had established that there was no live to the coil through the ign switch otherwise it would have run. When the car was hotwired coil + to battery the car started and run, or have I read it wrong

Comment

Hi Iain, Staggard would appear to be on the right track. Have you done any repairs/refurb on the starter motor? There should be two fine wires on the back of the starter, possibly marked STA and IGN, white/red and white/yellow respectively,WR and WY. WY takes a full 12v to the coil for full power starting, when the ign key is released 12v is supplied on the WR wire to the coil via the ign switch through the switch to a white wire,W, to one side of a fuse, possibly in the loom, and from the same side a white wire is connected to the heavy pink/white, KW, ballast resistor, which is incorporated in the loom and connected to the + of the coil.
      Your symptoms are classic faulty ballast resistor. I had the same problem on my '79 MGB and the cars are from the same stables. My fault was a refurb'd starter motor by an auto electrician and the wrong Lucas connector fitted on the solenoid. If you don't feel confident about leaving the ign turned on disconnect the battery and use a multimeter to trace each step....
      PS. you said you have disconn'd the ballast resistor, what have connected in its place!
      Sorry it's a bit long winded but take it a step at a time, a wiring diagram will help.

Comment

I think reading Iain's post he said he never had a ballast resistor fitted, not that he had removed/disconnected one. It would appear that the car was trying to fire up while cranking so for me that sort of rules out starter connections. I would think it has a ( subject to conformation ) ballast resistor wire fitted which I would have thought would not be a problem unless it has been cut. So I guess we are back to the switch or a connection problem.

Comment

The problem could be the internal wiring in the rev counter. seen many where the wire is fried that goes through the transformer. usually caused by electronic ignition upgrades
          if a wire from the battery to post on coil sorts the problem
          this may well be the answer
          alan
          Reconditioned Strombergs giving 157.7 bhp. on rolling road msd ignition. petronix.

Comment

Originally posted by Staggard View Post
            I thought we had established that there was no live to the coil through the ign switch otherwise it would have run. When the car was hotwired coil + to battery the car started and run, or have I read it wrong
            I was trying to establish what coil he had fitted and also that there was or was not a ballast in circuit. Running a 12V coil via a ballast resistor would result in a low HT voltage which may or may not be high enough to give a spark at the plug, especially as the engine is cold and I assume the choke is out giving a rich mixture.

Roger
            White TV8 BW35 no mods and now a Dolly Sprint to keep it company
            So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Hi guys, thank for all your constructive comments.

Having investigated further I found there was no live at the coil but there was a live at the Tacho.

Quite by accident, when checking the feed to the coil, one of the wires at the bulkhead coming from the loom and feeding the positive side of the coil came off in my hand, a suggestion of were the fault may be I thought?!!
              New connection made and problem solved, engine running, Tacho working and one happy bunny!

Now all I need to do is establish why my temperature gauge is not working, the joys of restoration.

Time to start thinking about booking an MOT and getting the old girl back on the road again.

Thanks again to you all for your input.

Comment

You don't need a temperature gauge

Comment

Do you think I should I just rely upon signs of steam as an early indication something is wrong?
                  Last edited by Iain; 11th May 2016, 21:29.

Comment

I have just fitted a whistle from an old kettle in the rad for early warning
                    Yellow Rules OK

Comment

If you put a kipper in the vee, the hot fishy smell might give a warning

Comment

Whilst I love both those ideas I'm not so sure about the smell of fish.

Comment

Working...
                        X