starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting issue

Recently replaced the float valves with the ones from a zenith kit to help a float chamber leak issue.

Then noticed fuel wetting from r.h. choke mechanism.

Noticed no gaskets fitted to choke mechanisms, how did that happen?!

Fitted 2x new gaskets.

Also noticed l.h. carb was a bit too rich so adjusted.

Now experiencing very very tricky to start, never an issue before.

After a test run the car was tricky to start when hot too.

Checked (touched to make sure it was on, no waggling etc.) 12v connector supply from starter motor , after which she started fine 10 times.

Went to start tonight, fired first time really lumpy and died!!! would not restart!!!!

Getting a dose of stag paranoia now......

Also noticed that i couldn't hear the fuel pump priming tonight... its an S.U. with electronic switching, not that old.

Will be getting some grose type valves, hopefully in the morning, to fit.

Its driving me mad at the moment.....feel like getting rid....after 27 years with this stag & one before.....

Any useful advice, or even just moral support?
    There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

I have days and weeks of troubles too ,been working on my Mgb this week nothing major but three little problems have ballooned in to three trips to manners in old bury ,taking two hours each,plus fixing po bodge's and I'm still not finished yet!

but us brummies will see it through and remember

Don't mess with the Peaky Blinders !!!!!!

Good luck ,cheers Alex

Ps I know a very good crypt on tuner in Knowle
    Cheers Alex
    Mk 1 White 19 ,MK1 Hood, Red trim TRV8 Minilite

Comment

Mine has been misbehaving ever since I did a complete rebuild on the carburetters. Last was the choke cable snapped, I really hate fitting new choke cables to Stags. Now it's missing every so often, I'm sure it's fuel but I have no time to do the carbs again this week (I have to take the prop shaft off to get It rebuild at Chards).

Keep the faith Julian, you know it's worth it!
      Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1˝, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
      2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

crumbs 05:30 thanks for the support (s) Im off to oldbury DMG to get the grose valves!!

The last choke cable i fitted let go on the second pull so to speak.

had to grind the knob & solder back in so to speak.

Comment

Might be worth checking the earth and connections to the fuel pump as they have given me
          problems in the past.

Brian

Comment

DMG sold me the standard valves instead of grose doh!!!!

& thanks for the earth advice.....will check.

Comment

solid state SU fuel pump was pushing way too much pressure for my strommies. I regulated the fuel pressure with a filter king - other products are available. This stopped the carbs flooding and lumpy running instantly.

I removed the dashpot and piston/needle assembly and found that the fuel was flooding from the float chamber via the main jet. This was with the float heights set correctly etc.

Have you set up the float heights correctly?
              Is the float chamber vent free and working?

Could just be a case that your modern fuel pump is set up for EFI rather than needle valve carbs
              Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

What I found was the pump was not getting a good 12v.

The Aldon ignitor was wired to piggy back the inertia switch for its 12v supply..... has been ok for quite some time.

When I bridged the inertia & disconneted the aldon ignitor I saw a good 12v at the pump.

The inertia contacts were clean as a whistle.

Against my better judgement, I put the aldon ignitor feed onto the coil +ve.....instant start, not even 1/2 turn of the crank before she fires.

Seems wrong / strange, but it works.

Any ideas what might be going on with the aldon ignitor stealing fuel pump supply?

I have got a facet & filter,king, not yet tried them.

Float heights were checked 2 weeks ago when I fitted new float valves from the zenith kit (non-grose)

Vents checked / cleared at same time....new vent pipes fitted yesterday

Originally posted by richardthestag View Post
                solid state SU fuel pump was pushing way too much pressure for my strommies. I regulated the fuel pressure with a filter king - other products are available. This stopped the carbs flooding and lumpy running instantly.

I removed the dashpot and piston/needle assembly and found that the fuel was flooding from the float chamber via the main jet. This was with the float heights set correctly etc.

Have you set up the float heights correctly?
                Is the float chamber vent free and working?

Could just be a case that your modern fuel pump is set up for EFI rather than needle valve carbs
                Last edited by jbuckl; 7th May 2016, 20:09.

Comment

Anyone had a similar situation?

I.E. fuel pump supply being robbed / possibly shorted by the red / +ve supply of an aldon ignitor / pertronix, when connected (piggy-backed) to the inertia switch?

But works ok when red / +ve supply of an aldon ignitor is on coil +ve?

Grateful for any suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X