Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How accurate is your original Kienzle clock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edd View Post
    I have an really good one ( it doesn't work ) but looks pretty
    I have a really excellent copy that's missing the second hand and it keeps excellent time. I would still like to put the original back one day. A little insight would be very interesting.
    I suggest replacing it with the Mona Lisa - much prettier

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      I suggest replacing it with the Mona Lisa - much prettier
      Why would you want another steering wheel...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Roberts View Post
        Why would you want another steering wheel...

Comment

AH that Mota Lita has such an enigmatic smile

Comment

Just catching up on the past few days.

As another reference, my clock has lost ~15 min in the last 5 months, of which it's been garaged up for 4 months. Generally when I'm driving I don't seem to have to correct the time very often.

Jonno

Comment

Thus proving Einstein's theories

Comment

I love these clocks. Alright it's not a Rolex but it definitely adds to the coolness factor plus being a watch collector the mechanical movement has lots of appeal. What is a classic Maserati without the clock? Or a modern Bentley without the Breitling? Also I am sure I have seen the same brand in some of the older Rollers.
                I would be curious to know a bit more about this clock brand.
                Stag 2500S
                Jaguar STypeR Citroen C5

Comment

Originally posted by marshman View Post
                  So thanks to this thread I went down to the garage and got an old Kienzle clock off of the shelf. It never worked so I thought I would take it apart to see what makes it tick, or not.

I'll post some pics later but to cut a long story short there is a short link wire to the solonoid which wasn't there. Now it either corroded, the solder was really grey and powdery, or it had blown like a fuse. Any way soldered in a new link wire and away it went.

The clock rewinds itself every three minutes. The whole process took less than 30 minutes including taking pics which I'll post tomorrow.

Time will tell how good it is at keeping time

Now I can get rid of that oil pressure gauge!

Roger
                  Hi Roger,

Any chance of those pics? After claiming how well my clock was working, it's now become very erratic, more on than off, so I fancy investigating. I'm a little stuck at the first hurdle - getting into it and am keen to avoid cattling it with too much brure force (replacements are ~£70 - 80). I can see what looks like a screwdriver-sized slot on the reverse of the bezel, but can't see how the setting knob comes off.

Any other advice welcome.

Thanks

Jonno

Comment

The setting knob is only attached through a hole in the glass, it comes off with the bezel and the glass and has no permanent connection to the hands.
                    I repaired mine a while ago, but it's now behaving erratically again.
                    Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1½, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
                    2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by edd View Post
                      Such an awful inaccurate clock who in heavens name made them
                      Kienzle?
                      1976 Triumph V8 Manual/OD in BRG

Comment

Originally posted by NickA View Post
                        Kienzle?
                        Kienzle - a Swiss company. The Swiss are well known for their reliable, accurate clocks!
                        Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1½, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
                        2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by mole42 View Post
                          The setting knob is only attached through a hole in the glass, it comes off with the bezel and the glass and has no permanent connection to the hands.
                          I repaired mine a while ago, but it's now behaving erratically again.
                          Thanks mole42,
                          Glad I didn't heave too hard . I'll have another go later. Sorry to hear yours is plaing up again. Maybe it's something like the theory that the human heart being set for a fixed number of heartbeats .

Jonno

Comment

Originally posted by mole42 View Post
                            Kienzle - a Swiss company. The Swiss are well known for their reliable, accurate clocks!
                            West Germany, according to all the markings!

Got the front off after unfolding the rear of the bezel. Then, in trying to extract the clock innards from the case, a couple of cogs came adrift, but still couldn't work out how the pcb and clock movement would withdraw. Also doubted my ability in refitting the cogs and keeping it all together (fat-finger syndrome), so ordered up a replacement from the Guage Shop. Having been driving around with a hole in the dash, I figured I wanted reliability, so - fess-up time - I've gone for the Smiths quartz option. This keeps the black bezel effect, so hoping I'll get away with it .

Jonno

JFI, the old one was a different type to those described earlier with the rotating disc and contacts, having a quartz chip and coil.

Comment

Mine was fitted to MK3 Cortina (by me ) in 1974 and when sold in '77 was left in the garage until I recovered it ,now fitted to my MGBGT and working just fine ,gained 7 minutes in Four weeks
                              Last edited by LAMBRETTLAD; 11th May 2016, 14:06.
                              Cheers Alex
                              Mk 1 White 19 ,MK1 Hood, Red trim TRV8 Minilite

Comment

Mine is typical BL of the time. It works when it wants to

Comment

Working...
                                X