No announcement yet.

Hardtop Hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nearly Drew. Mine was in metalwork. Was a CAD designer in a previous life - pre retirement.
    1976 MK2 Signal Red TV8 MOD

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Goldsmith View Post
      Thanks for sharing - You look like you've found the ideal balancing point - what's the distance between the bars and the position of the lifting eye please ?
      Hi Paul,
      I've taken some more photos. The lift point to door is 3 inches in my set-up. Hope photos help.

I used 2 roof bars, so that when the hardtop is raised up against the garage roof it does not move (tip), but there is no pressure on the hardtop roof. The PO had put some dents in the hardtop roof - I have to get fixed.

Lift plate.jpg Hook to rear rail=4.5 inch.jpg Rear to front rail= 14.5 inch.jpg Door open to rear rail= 7.5 inch.jpg

Jim.

Comment

Thanks for the extra photos, really helpful.
        I've had my winch since it was last on offer in Lidl, so makes it easy for me to set mine up. [Thanks also to Bob who suggested that I use gutter mounted roof bars]
        Dave.
        sigpic1974 Magenta Stag owned since 1990 & 1971 Stag currently being rebuilt.

Comment

Awesome !! Thanks for all those pics Jim, much appreciated (Julian too).

Those Halfords roof bars even look v similar to my Paddy Hopkirks, which I was
          chuffed to pick up from FreeCycle.

This evening I unboxed my electric hoist and tried it out for the first time since buying in a Maplin sale several years ago - I
          can't wait to get the bolts, eye and metal strip next week - a bit sad I know

Comment

This thread maybe of use for people wanting to support their hard top ,,the more the merrier.
            http://socforum.com/forum/showthread...ighlight=v8ken

Comment

Hi Jim in process of copying you. does roof rack need certain type of connectors to avoid damaging shiny rail trim please?
              thank you Bill 09656 recently re-joined

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gough View Post
                Hi Jim in process of copying you. does roof rack need certain type of connectors to avoid damaging shiny rail trim please?
                thank you Bill 09656 recently re-joined
                Hi Billy
                I used a Halfords roof rack but as long as it has rubber or plastic protection where it clamps on the gutter rails you shouldn't damage anything.
                Good luck
                Jim.

Comment

Cheers Jim, appreciated Bill

Comment

I also only used one roofrack bar. I balances just behind the Bpost. and a 12v winch fitted to a roof beam.

Comment

Thanks Jim your a Star!

Comment

Good solutions by all. This is something I need to look in to. Any idea how much the hardtops weigh?
                        Stag newbie. TR6 oldbie

Comment

2 x reasonably strong people - 50 - 55kg IIRC. Some folk remove the sprung plunger at the rear as it's easy to damage the hood cover and doesn't seem to make ant difference to its security. Mine hasn't been back on since I transferred it onto a stand ~6 years ago

Comment

Working...
                          X