Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poor fitting rear light lenses.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Poor fitting rear light lenses.

    I'm rebuilding all my lights at the moment, and have found the new rear light lenses I have bought, seem slightly under size and the lugs don't fully engage, and the rear lens easily pops out.
    I am using a new gasket.
    I'm guessing I'm going to have to glue them in.
    What sealant would work best? I've thought of possibly a clear 'aquarium type sealant', or if carefully applied to avoid unsightly excess, Tigerseal or similar? Any thoughts?
    Dave.
    IMG_3060.jpgIMG_3059.jpg

    #2
    Where did they come from Dave, mine are from Paddocks I think or Robsport if not, and are a perfect fit. If need be I can look through the paperwork and let you know where they came from.

    Ian
    Wise men ignore the advice of fools, but fools ignore the advice of wise men sigpic

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by milothedog View Post
      Where did they come from Dave, mine are from Paddocks I think or Robsport if not, and are a perfect fit. If need be I can look through the paperwork and let you know where they came from.

      Ian
      Hi Ian, I bought mine a month ago from Paddocks, as part of their lens set.
      Comparing my lenses with originals, they seem to be about 1mm undersize from top to bottom, but the lugs are also smaller and softer.
      On my other Stag I sealed the original lenses in with aquarium sealant, but this was to keep the moisture out [which it successfully did for the past 20 years] rather than hold the lens in.
      As I've glued the reflector onto the lenses already, I can't really return them so am looking to make the lenses secure, as without sealant they will pop out with first road hump!
      Dave.

      Comment


        #4
        Think I would return them.

        Jeff.
        I only do what the voices in my wife’s head tell me to do!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Davenott View Post
          Hi Ian, I bought mine a month ago from Paddocks, as part of their lens set.
          Comparing my lenses with originals, they seem to be about 1mm undersize from top to bottom, but the lugs are also smaller and softer.
          On my other Stag I sealed the original lenses in with aquarium sealant, but this was to keep the moisture out [which it successfully did for the past 20 years] rather than hold the lens in.
          As I've glued the reflector onto the lenses already, I can't really return them so am looking to make the lenses secure, as without sealant they will pop out with first road hump!
          Dave.
          The thing here is Dave, you would naturally glue the reflectors in before fitting them, I am with Jeff on this and feel quite passionate (behave yourself) you pay good money for (s**t) substandard parts and unless we join forces and send the parts back the standard will never improve. It's the same with the Bonneville parts. Why should we buy new parts and then have to bodge them to fit. BACK THEM AND MOAN LIKE HELL. Graham

          Comment


            #6
            I've photographed the new lens against the original Lucas one, and you can see the lugs are less prominant. The new lens is an unbranded reproduction, so I don't know who else stocks this one. Both my new lenses are identical with regards the lugs.
            Dave.

            IMG_3062.jpgIMG_3063.jpg

            Comment


              #7
              Looks like a nice set of cruise lights i seem there Dave

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by m9fdb View Post
                Looks like a nice set of cruise lights i seem there Dave
                You looked close at the photos!
                I bought a pair for £60 each last week, and they cleaned up well, just missing a couple of screws.
                I took a photo next to the front light backplate, as I think they could be easily made if you could get the long lens. [I saw some of the cruise light long lens for sale 2 weeks ago, brand new old stock and they were about £20 each plus postage, when I realised they would fit back plate I had another look and they had sold!]
                Dave.
                IMG_3070.jpg

                Comment


                  #9
                  I agree with Jeff, send them back. Paddocks are great and will have heard this before and can pick out a better pair. Mine were OK and certainly didnt need glueing

                  Andrew
                  Yellow Rules OK

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I decided to go ahead and rebuild the lights yesterday rather than wait for replacement lenses which might have been only marginally better.
                    I sealed the lenses in with Tigerseal, and applied a little pressure whilst it set, to ensure the lenses where seated properly. They look good and I avoided excess, but the Tigerseal has to be applied very careful as it sticks to everything very well, including your hands [and doesn't come off!] so I'd recommend gloves.
                    I did the job outside in case of fumes from Tigerseal as it contains cyanides [hence the crayfish in photo..]

                    IMG_3079.jpg

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Davenott View Post
                      I decided to go ahead and rebuild the lights yesterday rather than wait for replacement lenses which might have been only marginally better.
                      I sealed the lenses in with Tigerseal, and applied a little pressure whilst it set, to ensure the lenses where seated properly. They look good and I avoided excess, but the Tigerseal has to be applied very careful as it sticks to everything very well, including your hands [and doesn't come off!] so I'd recommend gloves.
                      I did the job outside in case of fumes from Tigerseal as it contains cyanides [hence the crayfish in photo..]

                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]26713[/ATTACH]
                      Are you a Diver Dave?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Staggard View Post
                        Are you a Diver Dave?
                        I have done my PADI open water but usually snorkel now.
                        I have been teaching my children to snorkel in the hot tub! [they are 5 and 7 yrs old]
                        I took them with a mask for the first time in Lanzerote and even I was amazed at the diversity, but was most impressed when my son spotted the spiked dorsal fin of a weaver/stone fish protruding from the sand [he said 'now I know why you make me wear shoes in the sea']
                        Dave.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Relieved to hear that Dave - I thought the floods in UK must be even worse than I've seen on the news!
                          If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
                            Relieved to hear that Dave - I thought the floods in UK must be even worse than I've seen on the news!
                            I thought of saying I had been testing how waterproof I had made them!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X