Handbrake warning Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Handbrake warning Light

Hi Guys, need some advise. My handbrake warning light does not light up with ignition on and hand brake on. Checked bulb OK, Changed switch on handbrake still nothing, If I push a probe into light cable at switch end and earth it warning light in cluster glows dimly. Any thoughts please. Ray

Originally posted by Ray Smith View Post
    Hi Guys, need some advise. My handbrake warning light does not light up with ignition on and hand brake on. Checked bulb OK, Changed switch on handbrake still nothing, If I push a probe into light cable at switch end and earth it warning light in cluster glows dimly. Any thoughts please. Ray
    Is the car a Mk1 or 2 if you have the commission No that would help. Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Smith View Post
      Sounds like you have an earthing issue with the switch as you say it's coming on when you ground the wire with your tester. Try earthing the switch spade connector to a good proven earth. The lamp should come on. If it does, it's a faulty switch or not getting the earth it needs

Ian.
      Wise men ignore the advice of fools, but fools ignore the advice of wise men sigpic

Comment

Car is 1977 Mk 2 Manual. Thanks

Comment

Someone will put me right here I am sure as I did away with this on mine, doesn't the brake light make earth through the oil light and uses the bulb as a resistance so the bulb glows until you start the engine. If this is the case as Ian says if you have grounded the h/brake wire and the light glows the switch is not grounding properly.

Comment

As they say\; If the light glows when you earth it at the switch, then the switch can't be working; maybe the earth is poor.
            Last edited by V Mad; 18th January 2014, 21:44.

Comment

I agree that it is an earthing problem, I have removed switch, and cannot discover anything that the contact on the switch can touch. The handbrake only pulls up 35mm, could this be the problem? Ray

Comment

The bolts that hold the lever to the tunnel Forget the Switch for now, just earth the wire and prove the light comes on. then test the switch if you have a meter.
                Wise men ignore the advice of fools, but fools ignore the advice of wise men sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by milothedog View Post
                  The bolts that hold the lever to the tunnel Forget the Switch for now, just earth the wire and prove the light comes on. then test the switch if you have a meter.
                  "Forget the Switch for now" What switch

Comment

Originally posted by Staggard View Post

"Forget the Switch for now" What switch
                    The little plastic one that puts the light on when the hand brake lever is raised? What i'm trying to get across is short the wire to earth first. If the light comes on then check the operation the switch with a meter, if that's OK then we are back to square one. The switch is not getting an earth. Or now, as it turns out, the H/Brake may be over adjusted and not allowing enough lever movement to activate it.

Simples

Although from the most recent post it's gone from asking what's wrong to agreeing with whats wrong
                    Last edited by milothedog; 20th January 2014, 19:02.

Comment

Mine is just a contact on the handbrake lever. It falls into a hole in the lever when the lever is down and the brake is off and drags along the handbrake lever to earth it once its pulled up. Make sure there is no paint on the handbrake lever or it wont earth out properly if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 73stagman View Post
                        Mine is just a contact on the handbrake lever. It falls into a hole in the lever when the lever is down and the brake is off and drags along the handbrake lever to earth it once its pulled up. Make sure there is no paint on the handbrake lever or it wont earth out properly if at all.

Can't get a bigger picture but this is it. 144432.jpg

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Staggard View Post
                          Someone will put me right here I am sure as I did away with this on mine, doesn't the brake light make earth through the oil light and uses the bulb as a resistance so the bulb glows until you start the engine. If this is the case as Ian says if you have grounded the h/brake wire and the light glows the switch is not grounding properly.
                          I think some work like this and If I recall the coloured wiring diagram that has been drawn shows it like that. But on my car it was the PDWA light which worked through the oil light and not the handbrake. That was wired separately and lights up full strength. It was a bad earth on my handbrake lever that prevented mine from working initially then I scraped the paint off the side of the lever to bare metal. Now it works fine.

Comment

The early cars had the oil light and the PDW light connected in series, so they glowed dimly. On later (Mk2) cars only the handbrake switch was used to test the PDW light. So the oil pressure light was a full brightness when on.

Comment

Thank you to 73 stagman, cleaned paint off handbrake lever now lights up fine, Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X