Front grill refurb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front grill refurb?

Hi all........just wondered if anyone has any recommendations/advice on refurbishing the grill. Our's is somewhat letting the Stag down, seems to of been painted (badly) at some point and is very dull! Should the black be of a satin finish or gloss? Thanks

I paint stripped mine, and masked the edges with 5mm fine line tape, I then used an etch primer followed by satin black, both applied by aerosol, it came up a treat.
    cheers,
    Raoul

Comment

same here, thoroughly strip off the old paint and if necessary fill in any oxidation holes in the alloy with filler before painting as this really makes a big difference to the finished grille. use etch primer to get a good base on the alloy then satin black top coats,plenty of fine coats not a couple of heavy ones. use tape and mask the front edge very simply then use 0000 gauge wire wool to smooth off the edges for that blended effect when the top coat has dried. Take your time and be patient and you will get an "as new" look to your grille.

regards.peter.c

Comment

Mee threee. As above and very pleased with the results. Allow a day to prep and prime and a couple of hours to top coat.

Comment

Stripped all the old paint off, and polished the shiny edges with wet and dry. Then masked them with a smear of vaseline and spray painted the whole thing with satin black smoothrite.

When the paint was dry it had stuck to everything except the vaseline quick wipe of a cloth saw shiny edges restored. A craft knife tidied up minor imperfections.

Getting the bloody things back in without scratching the paint on the headlamp panel was the trickiest part of the job
          Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Self confessed lunatic ,if you search repainting grill in the search box there is loads of info and advice to choose from On here ,hope this helps
            Keeny

Comment

have put in repainting grill in to search and get nothing ?

Comment

Did all grills have chrome edges ? as my January 73 has no chrome , is there away of replacing chrome on the edges ?

Comment

The original finish was clear anodised for the bright areas & low sheen satin black paint. If the bright areas are treated with abrasives, the anodising will be removed & corrosion begins. Re anodising is possible though.
                  If the part is chemically paint stripped & repainted, the best way to expose the anodised bright bits is to wipe the paint off with thinners on the bright ribs.
                  then the original anodising stands a chance of being retained.
                  There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

Working...
                  X