Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JP Timing chain kits which one's best

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Mike, here's another link for you (get it? link? chain? )

    http://www.stag.org.uk/forum/showthr...=enginetonight (some bedtime reading)

    ROLON is the trademark owned by the Indian chain manufacturer L.G.Balakrishnan & Bros Ltd. (LGB)

    Renold is - as far as I know - the original UK manufacturer of the Stag chain gear.

    Renold and LGB have now formed a joint venture to sell chains with the LGB trademark "ROLON". Whether these are made by Renold or LGB I don't know. I guess they continue to be made in India.

    As for the German chains being risky as they are pre-stretched, this is a quote from the Renold/LGB ROLON site:

    Preloading of the chain: Rolon chain is preloaded in special fixtures. This enhances resistance against initial elongation and fatigue.

    The IWIS story is simpler. German company founded in 1916 and still in the hands of the founder's descendants.
    The answer isn't 42, it's 1/137

    Comment


      #17

      Originally Posted by Don Maxwell
      Just wondering why Stag chains need changing every 25,000 miles and other cars do not. Is it something specific to Stags? Mine's got 20,000 to go, so I'm not bothered - yet.





      The above statement got me thinking if there are other factors involved when one should change the chains, e.g. 25K Miles OR 5 years. If not, then
      considering I changed my chains a year agno and do less than 1000 miles ago, I should be able to then forget about the chain issue unless there is a re occurance of the water pump / jackshaft issue.

      What about the tensioners, does the same 25K miles also apply?

      Comment


        #19
        And the last

        Rolon inside link.jpg
        Carbs suck.

        Comment


          #20
          Originally posted by SwissSteve View Post

          Originally Posted by Don Maxwell
          Just wondering why Stag chains need changing every 25,000 miles and other cars do not. Is it something specific to Stags? Mine's got 20,000 to go, so I'm not bothered - yet.





          The above statement got me thinking if there are other factors involved when one should change the chains, e.g. 25K Miles OR 5 years. If not, then
          considering I changed my chains a year agno and do less than 1000 miles ago, I should be able to then forget about the chain issue unless there is a re occurance of the water pump / jackshaft issue.

          What about the tensioners, does the same 25K miles also apply?

          That's me in trouble then - 11 years and 50,000 on the chains and around 90,000 on the tensioners I fitted in the 1980's.

          If you have the original Renold tensioners I only change them if the chain rollers have worn into the rubber slipper pads. If they only have shallow wear grooves from the side plates of the chains then I re-use them. However, if Rolon tensioners are already fitted then I think I would change them with the chains as a matter of course simply because they are cheap and readily available.


          Pete

          Comment


            #21
            Originally posted by SwissSteve View Post

            Originally Posted by Don Maxwell
            Just wondering why Stag chains need changing every 25,000 miles and other cars do not. Is it something specific to Stags? Mine's got 20,000 to go, so I'm not bothered - yet.





            The above statement got me thinking if there are other factors involved when one should change the chains, e.g. 25K Miles OR 5 years. If not, then
            considering I changed my chains a year agno and do less than 1000 miles ago, I should be able to then forget about the chain issue unless there is a re occurance of the water pump / jackshaft issue.

            What about the tensioners, does the same 25K miles also apply?
            Things can vary like town driving or motorway driving,oil changes etc to the life of your timing chains,I did mine last year at the 30k mark and the Rolon chains and tensioners were fine although my car has regular 1k oil changes and limited town driving but 25k seems like a safe time to change them.

            Comment


              #22
              While removing the timeing chain covers, how do you avoid damaging the head gasket??.
              Have watched the T Hart video on this and he made no mention of this, although you can clearly see the head gasket in situ and undamaged. Also I would imagine that you have to make sure that you get a good seal once the timeing chain covers are refitted, a bit concerned that I damage this while removing the covers and breaking this gasket seal.

              Mike
              Last edited by Moraystag; 27 November 2011, 13:22.

              Comment


                #23
                Just to add a piece from Triumph World November 2007 by Howard Vesey.
                The standard chains are fine and they should be changed together with the sprockets,guides and tensioners.Plan on doing this approximately every 40,000 miles

                Comment


                  #24
                  Originally posted by Moraystag View Post
                  While removing the timeing chain covers, how do you avoid damaging the head gasket??.
                  Have watched the T Hard video on this and he made no mention of this, although you can clearly see the head gasket in situ and undamaged. Also I would imagine that you have to make sure that you get a good seal once the timeing chain covers are refitted, a bit concerned that I damage this while removing the covers and breaking this gasket seal.

                  Mike
                  The sump must be be dropped slightly Mike to avoid this.

                  Comment


                    #25
                    Ahhhh, that's why the video indentified the dropping of the sump. Would that not meen that you have to replace the sump gasket??.
                    And even though the sump is dropped a little, how do you stop the head gasket tearing, or am I missing something.

                    Mike

                    Comment


                      #26
                      Originally posted by Moraystag View Post
                      Ahhhh, that's why the video indentified the dropping of the sump. Would that not meen that you have to replace the sump gasket??.
                      And even though the sump is dropped a little, how do you stop the head gasket tearing, or am I missing something.

                      Mike
                      With the sump dropped slightly Mike it enables you to drop the timing cover down and away from the head gasket,no you shouldn't have to replace the sump gasket but you will find it awkward getting at some of the sump bolts,I put an 1/2 inch open ended on the grinder to make it narrower to get at a couple of them.

                      Comment


                        #27
                        Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
                        Preloading of the chain: Rolon chain is preloaded in special fixtures. This enhances resistance against initial elongation and fatigue.
                        That's an interesting snippet Drew. So both chains are "pre-stretched" which negates the argument against IWIS chains anyway!

                        Comment

                        canli bahis siteleri bahis siteleri ecebet.net
                        pinbahis pinbahis dizitune.com
                        ankara escort
                        Working...
                        X