Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• barkerwilliams
    replied
    Have just refitted the bonnet after an engine rebuild and I was working today when I looked up and saw the reflection. I was impressed how blue the sky even on the Java paintwork.

Alan
    Bonnet.jpg

Leave a comment:

• simonmetalback
    replied
    My second stag this is a 1972 MkI.what can I say I just love these cars. Wanted one since I was 16. So much was right with the Stag.

Leave a comment:

• Bakdraft007
    replied
    An Early Mk1
    Bought in July 2019
    So far 42 jobs done, 13 remaining... but none too big
    Biggest so far rear diif and cam chains
    Purchased a Red Roof stored in a field, but now colour Matched

Stag - 11.JPG

Stag - 19.JPG
    IMG_1496.JPG

Leave a comment:

• 69k4mbo
    replied
    Many thanks for comments, just need the weather now,

Leave a comment:

• Stag Owner
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Stag Owner
    replied
    Originally posted by 69k4mbo View Post
    Just purchased .... hope I’ve done the right thing .....
    Nice looking car.

i can really relate to that heartfelt statement. Twenty two years ago I indulged myself and brought a Stag from a dealer in Manchester. Living in Sussex I took a flight from Gatwick Airport and then a taxi to the dealer. Once sorted all that remained was the 250 mile drive home. The weather was appalling and both the M6 and M5 were closed due to accidents so there was nothing for it but to cross the Peak District and pick up the M1.

Things were pretty uneventful until I took the slip road to join the M25 whereupon the temperature gauge went off the clock. Stags don’t tolerate overheating so I immediately stopped on the hard shoulder and called the AA and explained the issue and suggested they send a low loader to transport me home. Needless to say they didn’t heed my suggestion and after looking over my car and scratching their heads concluded that perhaps trailering it home was the best idea after all.

After a couple of hours the low loader arrived and transported me home. It was now nearing one o’clock in the morning and living in a quiet Cull-De-Sac I didn’t want to disturb the neighbours so thought it best to unload me 100 yds from home and I’d drive the remaining distance. So once off loaded I drove home and turned off the lights and engine and coasted up my drive.

i crept indoors quiet as a mouse so as not to wake the wife, (who I’d informed of my delay many hours before). Snuck upstairs in the dark and slipped into bed whereupon she said “You don’t listen to me do you”.

The next morning I phoned the Stag Owners Club technical officer for advice and was directed to remove the temperature sender unit plug and insert a paper clip and once done advise what the temperature gauge was doing. It went off the clock and he then told me the sender unit was defective and that the part was in stock and cost about 6. Relief !

Since then I’ve covered 37,000 miles and apart from regular servicing (and one water pump) she has run faultlessly and still brings a smile to my face each and every time I drive her.

So to answer your question yes I believe you have done the right thing and that you have many fun years ahead.
    Last edited by Stag Owner; 24th December 2019, 10:44.

Leave a comment:

• 69k4mbo
    replied
    Just purchased .... hope I’ve done the right thing .....

Leave a comment:

• 69k4mbo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• garyf
    replied
    Screenshot_20191130-000558_Gallery.jpgWDE45K....very pretty but a tiny bit rusty around the edges
    Now having the body sorted out
    should be ready for Christmas hopefully and Stony Stratford classic car show on new year's day 2020
    Last edited by garyf; 30th November 2019, 08:31.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff
    replied
    Such a neat job!

Leave a comment:

• Stagdad
    replied
    Originally posted by Ritchie6 View Post
    That looks a beast of an engine. What's the brake horse power?

Richard
    Not sure if i should answer here due to rule number 3 but its only 180bhp atm it pulls well though due to more torque.

Leave a comment:

• Ritchie6
    replied
    That looks a beast of an engine. What's the brake horse power?

Richard

Leave a comment:

• Stagdad
    replied
    EFi , 2.25" straight through exhaust, Tilton Clutch, Belt driven water pump, BMW rear end with disc brakes, 4 pot wilwood calipers.

20180413_190147 (800x450).jpg20190403_095740 (800x600).jpg20190422_135131 (800x600).jpg

Leave a comment:

• Ritchie6
    replied
    Well here goes. Lets' hope I don't bore the pants off everyone.
    Stag 2 (nr Menwith).JPG

The car was first registered on May 1st 1976 to a heating engineer in Wolverhampton, who later transferred to it to his wife in 1981. It was then sold in 1983 and stayed in Wolverhampton. Owner #4 was in Shrewsbury and the car had a full engine rebuild during early 1988 at a cost of 1430.44. My predecessor bought the car in 1990 and brought it up to Lancashire. He did a lot of work on it culminating in a full off road restoration which took 9 years to complete between 1995-2005. In 2015 it had more engine work including re-bore,new pistons,head rebuild and new timing chains/tensioners,new hood etc. Sadly John died in late 2016 having owned the car for almost 27 years. I'm owner #6 and have made a few cosmetic changes such as moto-lita steering wheel, some engine bling and changed to the old black/silver number plates. I see myself very much as a custodian and am benefitting from all John's hard work and considerable expenditure. I've managed to put together a fairly comprehensive history thanks to old receipts and notebooks that John had kept. He was a former regional co-ordinator so the car is quite well known in Lancashire stag circles.

IMG_0149 (3).JPGIMG_0154 (3).JPG

The cost of an engine rebuild wasn't cheap in 1988 at 1430 but it's a hell of a lot dearer nowadays

Richard

Leave a comment:

• CJG
    replied
    Purchased in 2017
    Fully rust proofed with Dynax products
    Lots of consumables replaced with best quality available.
    Then just run and enjoyed since.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X