X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve_Stag_Wish
    replied
    Thanks all, a good discussion and reasoning.
    Just being cautious and probably over engineering something that does not need anything.
    Cheers Chaps...

Leave a comment:

• dasadrew
    replied
    Must admit I'm lost here too, and I'm sure Goldstar knows a thing or two about grounding flying objects before putting a foot on the ground! If in doubt, why not just put a voltmeter (switched to resistance scale) between filler neck and a boot lid bolt? (and don't pull of your nylon sweater whilst fuel is flowing at the pumps!)

Drew

Leave a comment:

• DJT
    replied
    Firstly, the car is insulated from ground by 4 tyres. Secondly, the filler nozzle will be grounded via an internal bonding within the hose and back through the pump structure. Therefore, static discharge via the filler neck is unlikely.

During my previous work I was part of the team responsible for refuelling helicopters on offshore platforms. There, the fuelling system was tested daily to make sure the whole system was bonded to earth and the first thing we had to do before offering the refuelling hose was to attach a bonding lead to the helicopter ground point. This was because the aircraft engine and rotors were turning and static could build up, so had to be earthed before inserting the nozzle. The ignition point of Jet-A1 is considerably higher than unleaded petrol.

As there aren’t petrol forecourt explosions on a daily basis, I don’t think there is a problem not having a dedicated bonding wire inside the boot. But easy to fit if you think otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Goldstar
    replied
    I don't understand your point, sorry. The filler cap is secured to the metallic structure (the wing) by metallic fasteners, there is no other arrangement of static wires etc in any reference (ROM/parts catalogue)

Leave a comment:

• Steve_Stag_Wish
    replied
    Hiya,
    Seeing that the panel / wing is a replacement and repainted, then the filler was fitted. This could result in an earth connection (albeit not intentional). To have a definite intended/designed connection is best.
    All Aston Martins have static drain wires due the the mentioned composite panels structure.
    I was wondering as part of the Stag original design that there was supposed to be one...?
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• Goldstar
    replied
    Hi Steve, would it need anything to earth it as it is connected directly to the rear wing by the fixing lugs and brackets? I guess moderns with composite materials etc have a different requirement

Leave a comment:

• Steve_Stag_Wish
    started a topic Static around fuel filler neck?

Static around fuel filler neck?

Hi all,

The modern practice of grounding the filler neck to vehicle chassis / ground is considered normal. To control the dispersion of static down to ground.
    I cannot see any wire / bond lead from the Stag filler neck at all.....
    Is this normal?
    Cheers
    Steve
Working...
X