Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1978 Stag restoration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Major milestone achieved today with car back on four wheels. Bit concerned about the rear end though. Seems to have excessive negative camber and is sitting very high. The rear springs are new from Chris Witor and I did state I wanted as close as possible to the original. I will contact him tomorrow. With an empty shell the clearance between the top of tyre and the outer edge of the wheel arch is 120mm.

    Diamond cut wheels are looking superb.

    IMG_2852.JPGIMG_2853.JPG
    John
    1978 Stag Brooklands Green

    Comment


      Mine is the same.. original springs and it sat fine before the rebuild but its sitting high, even with the engine installed.. No hood, seats or full tank yet but I am expecting it to settle lower once those are in and I drive it a bit.. Hopefully you didn't tighten the trailing arm bolts? though with poly thats less of a concern.

      Where did you get the logo wheel centres?

      Terry
      Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

      www.terryhunt.co.uk

      Comment


        Originally posted by trunt View Post
        Mine is the same.. original springs and it sat fine before the rebuild but its sitting high, even with the engine installed.. No hood, seats or full tank yet but I am expecting it to settle lower once those are in and I drive it a bit.. Hopefully you didn't tighten the trailing arm bolts? though with poly thats less of a concern.

        Where did you get the logo wheel centres?

        Terry
        No I didn't tighten the trailing arm bushes. The centres and the stainless nuts are from James Paddock. You can buy the vinyl logos to stick on your original centres if they are in good nick. You still have to remove them to apply the vinyl. Read a lot about the difference between new stainless nuts and the old alloy ones. When I measured them there was only 28thou difference. They centre ok for me.
        John
        1978 Stag Brooklands Green

        Comment


          Terry,
          There is a vendor on (dare I mention it !! ) eBay who does nice "blingy bits" for Stags.
          Amongst other things, he produces sets of laser-cut stainless steel wheel centres with the Stag logo. These are held in place by the original springy clips.
          They do look damn good - my original alloy centres were a bit corroded on the flat surface, otherwise I could have used the stick-on ones.
          Think it was about GBP 15.00 for the set.
          He also does other laser-cut stainless items, like a Stag logo for the air cleaner box, and other things to appeal to your (and mine) inner magpie.....
          Can't remember the name, but I'm sure checking Stag spares listings will locate them.
          Stay safe,

          Neil.
          '77 Tahiti Blue, Spax, MoD, poly-bushed.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Neil in Deal View Post
            Terry,
            There is a vendor on (dare I mention it !! ) eBay who does nice "blingy bits" for Stags.
            Amongst other things, he produces sets of laser-cut stainless steel wheel centres with the Stag logo. These are held in place by the original springy clips.
            They do look damn good - my original alloy centres were a bit corroded on the flat surface, otherwise I could have used the stick-on ones.
            Think it was about GBP 15.00 for the set.
            He also does other laser-cut stainless items, like a Stag logo for the air cleaner box, and other things to appeal to your (and mine) inner magpie.....
            Can't remember the name, but I'm sure checking Stag spares listings will locate them.
            Stay safe,

            Neil.
            OK Thanks..

            I could not find those, maybe he does not send to USA? but did find a set of stick on ones from Tony Hart, shipping was reasonable..
            Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

            www.terryhunt.co.uk

            Comment


              Shipping costs from the States are horrific. I bought a new rubber heater drain flap that fits on the engine bay bulkhead from a company called Spitbits. Size was approximately 40mm x 35mm. Cost was $12 but shipping cost was $20
              John
              1978 Stag Brooklands Green

              Comment


                Took the decision to remove the bulkhead insulation pad in the engine bay. Fortunately this pad is not bonded and I had not yet fitted the internal pads. This was not only after reading the reports of fire risk but I considered it and the internal pads very poor quality as heat and noise reducers. Probably ok for the seventies biu much better modern materials available. Instead I fitted a layer of Dynamat Superlite in the engine bay and the internal bulkheads for noise reduction and a layer of Heatmat on top of the Dynamat in the engine bay for heat insulation. Both from Car Builder Solutions.Well pleased with the results.

                IMG_2866.JPG
                John
                1978 Stag Brooklands Green

                Comment


                  Just received the front seats and T bar back from the upholsterers. Very nice. Can't wait to fit them. See pic below. They are placed the wrong way around.

                  IMG_2897.JPG
                  John
                  1978 Stag Brooklands Green

                  Comment


                    Looks like i am the only member on the forum posting on the progress on a major rebuild. I cannot believe that there are not more ongoing projjects apart from Terry from Delaware. The lack of response to posts is a bit worrying.. Undertaking such a mammoth task is daunting and a little encouragement really helps to get the project over the line and hopefully will encourage some owner to start a new project.
                    John
                    1978 Stag Brooklands Green

                    Comment



                      We have been on a similar path for a while now and you are doing great!.. I’m watching! I have my website (that is woefully out of date at the moment) so tend to keep it there.. just the odd “what did you do” post when I feel particularly pleased with myself!


                      Terry
                      Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

                      www.terryhunt.co.uk

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by trunt View Post
                        We have been on a similar path for a while now and you are doing great!.. I’m watching! I have my website (that is woefully out of date at the moment) so tend to keep it there.. just the odd “what did you do” post when I feel particularly pleased with myself!


                        Terry
                        Terry,
                        Thanks for this. I am at the closing stages of my rebuild but like major construction projects the last 5% consumes as much manhours as the first 25%. All the small finishing items turn into nightmares and suddenly a whole day is lost. Examples are tonneau cover cables, wiring harnesses, heater installation and the worry that despite all the photographs you took during dismantling you didn't take enough. Great assistance from members like Drew is fantastic. Biggest worry is that after all the vigorous testing carried out during re-assembly you will have major electrical hiccups during final start up.
                        John
                        1978 Stag Brooklands Green

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by JOHNS View Post

                          Terry,
                          Thanks for this. I am at the closing stages of my rebuild but like major construction projects the last 5% consumes as much manhours as the first 25%. All the small finishing items turn into nightmares and suddenly a whole day is lost. Examples are tonneau cover cables, wiring harnesses, heater installation and the worry that despite all the photographs you took during dismantling you didn't take enough. Great assistance from members like Drew is fantastic. Biggest worry is that after all the vigorous testing carried out during re-assembly you will have major electrical hiccups during final start up.
                          That's very kind of you John. To be honest, I've had a guilty feeling for a long time now that I haven't found the time or "muse" to "accompany" you with your project. You're right, when I did mine it was like the whole community was going through the ups and downs with me which I was experiencing. I'm sorry for not having diligently followed your project as it's looking to become one of the most exquisite Stags around. Be assured that I do actually follow your posts!

                          Drew
                          The answer isn't 42, it's 1/137

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by JOHNS View Post

                            Terry,
                            Thanks for this. I am at the closing stages of my rebuild but like major construction projects the last 5% consumes as much manhours as the first 25%. All the small finishing items turn into nightmares and suddenly a whole day is lost. Examples are tonneau cover cables, wiring harnesses, heater installation and the worry that despite all the photographs you took during dismantling you didn't take enough. Great assistance from members like Drew is fantastic. Biggest worry is that after all the vigorous testing carried out during re-assembly you will have major electrical hiccups during final start up.
                            Couldn’t agree more, I seem to be spending more time on it, thinking about it and on the computer working out how that thing goes where than at any other stage of the restoration. I’m particularly annoyed now (but not as annoyed as SWMBO) when I come to some missing $5 item that just stalls the job in hand, window seals are the current annoyance, can’t finish the door until I secure them.

                            I think the current worst job is the hood frame, I seem to adjust it every couple of days as I find areas where it’s not right, until that’s done I can’t put the hood on or the cubbies on.. and so it goes on..

                            One bright spot is that apparently the state has suspended emissions tests during the crisis, I’m off down there ASAP! That’s one less worry.

                            Another big thanks to Drew, the guy that took the photos that I forgot!

                            Oh and electrical, that parcel shelf will be the very last thing I install!

                            Terry
                            Last edited by trunt; 8th August 2020, 12:36.
                            Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

                            www.terryhunt.co.uk

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X