No announcement yet.

1978 Stag restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major milestone achieved today with car back on four wheels. Bit concerned about the rear end though. Seems to have excessive negative camber and is sitting very high. The rear springs are new from Chris Witor and I did state I wanted as close as possible to the original. I will contact him tomorrow. With an empty shell the clearance between the top of tyre and the outer edge of the wheel arch is 120mm.

Diamond cut wheels are looking superb.

IMG_2852.JPGIMG_2853.JPG
    John
    1978 Stag Brooklands Green

Comment

Mine is the same.. original springs and it sat fine before the rebuild but its sitting high, even with the engine installed.. No hood, seats or full tank yet but I am expecting it to settle lower once those are in and I drive it a bit.. Hopefully you didn't tighten the trailing arm bolts? though with poly thats less of a concern.

Where did you get the logo wheel centres?

Terry
      Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by trunt View Post
        Mine is the same.. original springs and it sat fine before the rebuild but its sitting high, even with the engine installed.. No hood, seats or full tank yet but I am expecting it to settle lower once those are in and I drive it a bit.. Hopefully you didn't tighten the trailing arm bolts? though with poly thats less of a concern.

Where did you get the logo wheel centres?

Terry
        No I didn't tighten the trailing arm bushes. The centres and the stainless nuts are from James Paddock. You can buy the vinyl logos to stick on your original centres if they are in good nick. You still have to remove them to apply the vinyl. Read a lot about the difference between new stainless nuts and the old alloy ones. When I measured them there was only 28thou difference. They centre ok for me.
        John

Comment

Terry,
          There is a vendor on (dare I mention it !! ) eBay who does nice "blingy bits" for Stags.
          Amongst other things, he produces sets of laser-cut stainless steel wheel centres with the Stag logo. These are held in place by the original springy clips.
          They do look damn good - my original alloy centres were a bit corroded on the flat surface, otherwise I could have used the stick-on ones.
          Think it was about GBP 15.00 for the set.
          He also does other laser-cut stainless items, like a Stag logo for the air cleaner box, and other things to appeal to your (and mine) inner magpie.....
          Can't remember the name, but I'm sure checking Stag spares listings will locate them.
          Stay safe,

Neil.
          '77 Tahiti Blue, Spax, MoD, poly-bushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil in Deal View Post
            Terry,
            There is a vendor on (dare I mention it !! ) eBay who does nice "blingy bits" for Stags.
            Amongst other things, he produces sets of laser-cut stainless steel wheel centres with the Stag logo. These are held in place by the original springy clips.
            They do look damn good - my original alloy centres were a bit corroded on the flat surface, otherwise I could have used the stick-on ones.
            Think it was about GBP 15.00 for the set.
            He also does other laser-cut stainless items, like a Stag logo for the air cleaner box, and other things to appeal to your (and mine) inner magpie.....
            Can't remember the name, but I'm sure checking Stag spares listings will locate them.
            Stay safe,

Neil.
            OK Thanks..

I could not find those, maybe he does not send to USA? but did find a set of stick on ones from Tony Hart, shipping was reasonable..
            Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Shipping costs from the States are horrific. I bought a new rubber heater drain flap that fits on the engine bay bulkhead from a company called Spitbits. Size was approximately 40mm x 35mm. Cost was $12 but shipping cost was $20
              John

Comment

Took the decision to remove the bulkhead insulation pad in the engine bay. Fortunately this pad is not bonded and I had not yet fitted the internal pads. This was not only after reading the reports of fire risk but I considered it and the internal pads very poor quality as heat and noise reducers. Probably ok for the seventies biu much better modern materials available. Instead I fitted a layer of Dynamat Superlite in the engine bay and the internal bulkheads for noise reduction and a layer of Heatmat on top of the Dynamat in the engine bay for heat insulation. Both from Car Builder Solutions.Well pleased with the results.

IMG_2866.JPG
                John

Comment

Just received the front seats and T bar back from the upholsterers. Very nice. Can't wait to fit them. See pic below. They are placed the wrong way around.

IMG_2897.JPG
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X