X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherished Stag in need of new custodian

*** SADLY GOING & DEPOSIT TAKEN *** New owner up in Selby area

1972 Mk1 Auto Damson, low owners and low milage

Still available and for sale due to very low usage. The following description can be read in conjunction with pictures and video clips on my YouTube channel:-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVN..._as=subscriber

Low ownership and low mileage Triumph Stag Mk1. First registered on 2nd June 1972.

Full ownership history is available, consisting of two families prior to myself. Original purchase from Tannery Farm Garage in St Helens and owned for 31 years. During this time it was regularly maintained by the proprietor of a local garage in Southport. Taking a keen interest he eventually persuaded the first owners to sell it in January 2003. At this point it had covered approximately 25000 miles. This garage proprietor owner improved the dulled paintwork by giving it a re-spray, naturally in the original Damson Red. This brought the Stag back to an excellent standard and the paintwork still does the Stag proud today.

This remarkably original Stag came into my possession in July 2012. I owned a much restored Stag at the time and I was taken by the originality and untouched patina of this great example with its low ownership and local history. It had an indicated mileage of approximately 40,000 miles at this point.

With the exception of the new paint, it has not undergone a “full nut and bolt restoration” remaining original with all original parts, including the hardtop roof it was purchased with. To this day it still remains largely an original example.

In my ownership the Stag has undergone a process of continuous improvement/maintenance. I have added an additional 5000 miles with numerous touring holidays around the UK and a 1600 mile continental trip to Switzerland. These journeys have proven the Stag's resilience as it has never let me down.

To address the typical “Stag paranoia” question - Even when driving at motorway speed during our Switzerland tour in 30 degrees of ambient heat and then standing in queueing traffic, the only overheating was my wife and I and the roof had to go up to shield us from the baking sun. The engine however stayed within normal temperature limits. One of my original modifications included the fitting of a Kenlowe fan as a sensible precaution although this has proved to be totally unnecessary.

The road trips have always been reliable, the only occasion where I had to make a roadside adjustment was the auto gearbox inhibitor switch misaligning and causing difficulties starting after a fuel stop. A new switch was fitted on my return home after a temporary roadside bypass kept me going.

NDJ345K has the original upholstery and bumpers which are aged and add to the originality and patina quality of this Stag. This by no means distracts from the overall excellent condition of this well-kept classic which upon inspection will not disappoint.

I have an extensive history file and paperwork showing the originality of the Stag and most of the service history. It is exempt from road tax and I have all MOT certificates for my ownership showing all were passes with no advisories. Although it is now MOT exempt, I have continued with the annual MOT inspection test and this has was renewed in 2018, again without any issues.

The mileage is low and consisting of 25,000 miles from the first owner, 15,000 miles from the second owner and only 5,000 miles to date from myself. Clearly in my ownership it spends far too much time under cover in the garage and not enough time being enjoyed on the road (by driver and onlookers alike). Hence your chance to purchase what is a very good example of an appreciating classic British V8.

The following is a brief description of the main areas. Naturally viewing and inspection is highly recommended.

Body work - Resprayed and ‘new’ paint is still in excellent condition. Two weld repairs, one to windscreen wiper mount hole and the other to a hole in floor on driver side due to a leaking windscreen.
    Soft top – frame fully refurbished being stripped down, powder coated, straightened and new hood fitted.
    Hardtop – I have not used this other than to transport it home with the Stag. It is completely original hanging up in the garage and is in extremely good condition, no rust or damage.
    Engine/gearbox – both original. Other than new oil, the gearbox has not been worked on and functions as expected. The Triumph V8 engine has had new timing chains, new starter motor, new alternator, new water pump (external), new radiator, header tank fitted and a Kenlowe fan fitted. It has been flushed regularly and has regular oil changes.
    Fuel– Original Stromberg carburettors have been stripped down and overhauled.
    Ignition – Original Lucas distributor has been stripped and overhauled and electronic ignition module is now fitted in place of the twin points.
    Breaks – Stainless braided hoses, new pads and overhauled
    Drive shafts – New CV type fitted in place of original UJs
    Suspension - New shocks, new anti-roll bar poly bushes
    Cooling – Re-cored staggered core radiator fitted, Kenlowe Fan fitted, external water pump
    Electrical – Upgraded starter motor, new alternator, new battery, solid state voltage stabiliser for instrument cluster, new spark leads
    General –New stainless exhaust, Power steering rack stripped and overhauled, oil pump stripped and overhauled, new front headlight units, tachometer upgraded
    Wheels – Replaced with new Stag new alloys (matching the original MK2) were fitted by the previous owner and remain in very good condition with full treaded tyres.
    Interior – new carpets

All modifications are reversible for the purists.

It has a current insurance valuation of 19,000 as the value it would take to replace it with a similar condition example. I would like 17,500 as a reasonable value by comparison to those for sale at the moment.

DSC08883 copy.jpgIMG_2016.JPGDSC07262.JPG
    Last edited by MLCstag; 28th June 2020, 17:08.
Working...
X